Friday, January 6, 2017

WEATHER, IDEAS FOR 2017 & WEEKEND WONDERS...


WEATHER

Well, I was surprised when I opened my blinds this morning and found that it had snowed...not a lot, just enough to cover everything with about an inch of snow. When I lived in Maine (which is where the above picture was taken.) there were several days of heavy snowfall. Lady J was buried many times and I had to rescue her with hours of shoveling...no folks, I had no snowblower so it was all done by me aided with a snow shovel.

This photo was of one of the lower snowfalls we had...

But, although the snow was pretty this morning...by noon it all but disappeared!!  The temperature high for the day is 32...tomorrow's high is 28. A lot warmer than my friends and family are experiencing in Duluth, MN and Park City, UT. It cooled down from a -18 this morning to a -20 this afternoon in Park City! Makes my teeth chatter just thinking about it!

Here, in NYC we will probably miss the worst part of snow storm tomorrow, but they are talking about up to four inches of snow. And even in this city, only four inches of snow can create havoc so plans for a trip to the train show are up in the air right now...

IDEAS FOR 2017

1.  One idea I want to share with you is from an article entitled '52 Key Learnings in 52 Weeks of 2016' which you can find at The Mission Website linked here. This is not a short read but I found that I enjoyed all the quotes included. There are suggestions at the end of the article about how to keep track of your own key learnings. The author also briefly talks about how hard it is to remember things clearly without triggers.

To be honest, I have never thought about keeping track of key learnings. I have kept gratitude journals, artistic journals, daily experiences, etc., but never a journal about key learnings. At my age, one would like to think that I have learned all the important things in life...but let me tell you, I have not. This may be a good idea!

2.  Another idea I want to talk about is exercise...yes, I know that exercise is a dreaded word but one which is included in many New Year's Resolutions. I like to walk so that is my main form of exercise. 

There are many physical health benefits from exercise but one of the benefits is focused on our mental health. For those of us who are concerned about our future...and these days, who isn't?...walking, even a short distance can lift one's spirits so the constant worry drum of concern can be banished, at least for a while. I would encourage you to think about including exercise in your daily routine (with your doctor's permission, of course.).

3.  Finally, at least for this post, may I suggest that you include something which challenges you for 2017. By that I mean, find something that will take you out of your comfort zone. It may be as simple as trying a new technique in your creative ventures. Or, it may be involving yourself in an organization which you have always admired. Or taking part in groups from square dancing, or a book club, or delivering Meals on Wheels. 

Think about what concerns you the most, right now, personally. Then find a way to challenge those concerns and do something even if it is 'out of your comfort zone.'

WEEKEND WONDERS...

I like to call my weekend adventures...wonders.  Whether it's reading a book, working on a creative idea or watching football.  Did I say football?  Why, yes I did and this weekend is the first of the playoffs in the NFL.  So, you know what I will be doing at game time.

But, I do have a couple more things to do. Remember the pants I altered. I need to take the time to really steam press them well. Ironing is definitely not my thing, but this is something that needs to be done so I can wear the pants.

I also want to finish up a table runner that is almost finished. Just need to add a backing which I plan on doing envelope style and then some 'stitch in the ditch' sewing.

Finally, I want to work on my goals for 2017,  I like to wait until the holidays are finished before I tackle my list of goals. Many years, I use the entire month of January. 

So, those three things are on my agenda for the weekend. What about you? Have you thought about what you want to accomplish this weekend? Make sure that rest is one of the top 'wonders' of your weekend...it will make for a more relaxed upcoming week.

Thank you very much for spending a few minutes here with me...
Talk to you on Monday...
Stay warm, rest well & most of all, enjoy yourself...