Monday, August 16, 2010

A Whole Week Away????

I'm sorry about that but we were in NYC all last week...and it was an exhausting week.   And you know all those little errands that pile up when you're gone - that's what I dealt with on Saturday...one errand after another.   And Sunday...well, I wasn't up to much other than sleeping...

But, between my errands on Saturday, I slipped into a favorite bookstore for the latest copy of a quarterly magazine and look what I found...
I've been toying with the idea of purchasing this book for quite a while simply because I really enjoyed the Carol Duvall show...and there it was...and only $2.99!!!

I was extremely happy to find directions to one of the projects that I have always wanted...'The Never Ending Card'.   And a bonus find was the 'Chalk Marbleized Paper' project.   I have marbleized with water colors, acrylics, oils, shaving cream, etc., but never with chalk.   I can't wait to try this one!!!

The other two books were also great finds.   Generally I don't make greeting cards, however...
there were so many techniques in this book which I could apply to my journals, that at $1.99 it seemed like a steal.   And the dozens of full color pictures for each project assured me that I could actually do them.

And finally...
this book on sewing paper crafts answered all the questions I have been asking about this technique.   Oh, and once again...in full color with lots and lots of pictures.

Quite frankly, I felt like I'd hit the lottery when I stumbled on these three books.   I know, it doesn't take much to tickle my fancy...


On a different note.   One of the things that my new writing course asked me to do was 'people watch'.   Well, let me tell you that NYC is one of the best places to 'People Watch' in the world!!  I was sitting in the park at the corner of Madison and East 100 Street.   First of all, let me tell you that there is no East 100 Street at this address, only Madison.   There is an East 100 Street, but further east!

At this non-corner is the Center for Living Park/Gardens connected with the Martha Stewart Center for Living at Mt. Sinai.   (Note:   Remember when I told you that I had discovered the show 'The Fabulous Beekman Boys'?   Well, the doctor (Brent) in the show worked with Martha Stewart at Martha Stewart Living to develop this center.)

Okay, back to the park.   I have never sat in such comfortable benches in my life.   They are metal, mesh and contoured.   If I ever have the need to purchase a bench, I definitely want one like this...

So there I was sitting at the park, watching the people walk up and down Madison Avenue.  I only counted eleven different languages this time.   However, there were some very distinctly disturbed people running around, which was sad.

So many of the street people I see on my ventures to Manhattan are folks in need of constant supervision.   But this time, I also saw couples trying to grab some sleep during the day...too dangerous at night.

The temperature was in the mid 90's with a heat index over 100.   But in this small park it was very comfortable.   The pictures below are from the park.   So, if you ever have to visit Mt. Sinai be sure to take some time and sit in the park.


At the entrance to the park on Madison, there is an Apple Tree Sculpture...

The three large red 'apples' turn in the wind.   It really is very striking.   There wasn't much wind the day I was there, but I think you can see that the 'apples' did turn a bit.

Now, if you have never been to NYC, let me warn you...it is noisy...really noisy.   Also, in case you have never visited, NYC is really quite...I don't really want to say dirty, but there is a lot of trash all over.

The street sweeper made two runs while I was sitting in the park and the street was just as dirty after both passes as before.   You just can't keep a city clean with this many people living in it.   Even if they all used the liberally planted garbage cans, the cans don't get emptied enough and the garbage "doth runneth over"!!!!

But even with all of that, there's nothing like New York City to get your juices running...unless, of course, it's Maine!!!!

Can you believe that summer's coming to an end?   In a few weeks, the children will be off to school and many parents will breath a sigh of relief.   You know, though, that these days go by far more quickly than you can imagine.

My children are all adults, some with children of their own, but I still remember the enjoyment of have the kids home in the summer.   No, it wasn't perfect all the time...no family is...but it was those ordinary, everyday moments that I remember with fondness.   

Well, I have discovered a couple new to me techniques and ideas that I will be sharing with you this week...watch for them.

Thanks for stopping by...