Friday, June 18, 2010




Welcome to my studio/office where I write my blog and love to create using a variety of mediums.   I live in a two story townhouse with a small, open den area on the second floor and this is where I have my studio.   It's not large, but it works for me.   This is what it looks like going from the entrance all around the room...

It looks a bit crowded in the pictures, but it really doesn't feel that way.   I think that the large window gives both a lot of light and a feeling of space.

This is the first time I have taken part in a 'blog party' and when I signed up to participate, I knew that this area really needed some cleaning and organizing before I would dare to post pictures.   So first I  sorted through things to remove and give away 'stuff' I knew I would not be using in any significant way.   I then organized things so that each work station had items used on a daily basis within easy reach.  

So what are my work areas, well first there is my computer station...

This is where I write my blog.   I take a lot of online courses both creative as well as academic (just for fun).   For instance, I am working my way through the MIT course on how to write apps for the iPhone.   But I am also working through some multi-media journal courses.

And as I'm always trying to save money,  I am also learning 'GIMP' which is the free software program for photo editing similar to 'Photoshop'.   And I love to surf - who doesn't? - especially blogs...

Right next to my computer station is my drawing/painting station...

My favorite medium is colored pencils with watercolor backgrounds.   While living in NYC I took several classes from an artist who excelled in colored pencils and have loved it ever since.  Between the two small sets of drawers, I have a pencil and marker caddy made out of cans (mostly regular vegetable sized ones) which I covered, clipped together with tiny bullnose clips and placed on a piece of cardboard tilted at an angle.   I did glue the top cans down for a bit of security.   This has worked really well.

As you can see, I am really into doodling.   I have several which I am thinking of reducing to ATC size and using for backgrounds or printing on fabric and using for journal covers.

Next is my 'everything else' station...

I do just about everything else in this area.   All I have to do is turn my chair from the drawing station to this one so it is convenient to work on more than one project at a time.   The small drawers here have a lot of things used with fabric from sewing to painting on fabric.

In the two large drawer containers right next to this area, I keep my beading and stamping supplies plus a variety of other things such as ribbon and adhesives.

The top of these two large containers is my next work station...

I have a large cutting/ironing pad on top.   So when I want to iron something, I have the ironing side up.   When I want to cut fabric, I have the cutting side up.    I also have a tall stool here in this area because there are times when I work on other projects in this area.

The last work station is where I sew...

This isn't the most convenient place to sew, but it works for me.  As the sewing machine is on top of a very sturdy storage unit, I also get to store more stuff.   Most of my sewing is done here, but if I am going to be sewing for several days straight, I will use my 'everything else' area.

I did a lot of organizing on my shelves and that has made the resources on the shelves more easily accessible.

My first shelf which is also furthest away from my work stations holds my printed medium (books and magazines), educational dvds,  as well as folders of articles and pictures I wanted to keep for future reference plus my own works...

My second shelf which is close to my work stations (as is the third shelf) holds my fabric...

I no longer make large quilts so my fabric stash consists of lots and lots of fat quarters.   There is quite a variety of fabric on this shelf...enough so I can shop from my stash instead of a store.   Lately, I have also been collecting charm squares which increases the variety with even less space!!!  Not really sure why except that I do love fabric!!!

My third shelf contains my paper supplies for creating journals and other paper creations...

It is also my miscellaneous shelf.  You know, kind of like the kitchen 'junk drawer' where you put things that you don't know where else to put them.

One final area are my bulletin boards.   Places where I put works in progress,  or use to design something...

I actually have three of these.   This one is in the far corner.   The other two are above my computer and drawing stations.   As we are only leasing our apartment, I didn't want to put up anything heavy.  So I bought styrofoam pieces (A package of 6 pieces of 12" by 48") at a lumber store in the insulation area, plus really large bullnose clips and dressmaker pins.

I taped three pieces together, covered them with fabric, placed the clips at the top and after pounding the pins into the wall hung up the 'design wall/ bulletin board'.   When I ran out of space, I just hung the other three without covering them.   It makes for a very useable and inexpensive addition to my studio.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my space and will come back and visit again.   I would be amiss if I didn't include these last two pictures of my constant companions, Chip and Dale...

These two kitties sometimes drive me crazy with their antics and getting into my projects, especially anything to do with yarn, but their companionship (yes, they are very loving) is well worth it.

I hope you have a great weekend.

Thanks for stopping by...