Monday, January 17, 2011

Relaxing and Mixed Media Art Quilts

How was your weekend?   Mine was really great.   I did something I haven't done in a while...I just relaxed on Saturday, much of it in bed, watching my cooking and gardening shows plus football as well as surfing the WEB.   It was so much fun...and relaxing.   I even managed to watch the grandkids for a while.

Now, I know that many of you can't take an entire day,  especially if you have a family still living at home;  but I really hope you found a few minutes for yourself.   Remember, if you don't refuel yourself, it will be hard to take care of others.   And no, it isn't selfish...it's actually very beneficial to all involved.

I also tried something else.   I watched an Interweave Workshop - Mixed Media Art Quilts - hosted by Pokie  Bolton with artist Beryl Taylor.   It was so fascinating that I decided to give it a try.   My design is a bit different that Ms. Taylor's.   And I am far from finished, but here it is so far.

First I drew a simple design... 

Using a marker, I transferred this design to the top piece of four stacked pieces of fabric...

I then sewed on the design using a small straight stitch.  When all four sets were sewn, it was time to try out reverse applique.   For those folks not familiar with that technique,  you simple cut away layers of fabric to reveal what's underneath.   The most important element for this is a small sharp scissors.   

Here are the four sets after reverse applique is done...

After completing the reverse applique, I trimmed the fabric sets to the same size AND then I cut them into quarters...

I had fun making four different squares and placing them together...

After deciding on the design, I pinned them to a piece of green fabric...

I varied the workshop suggestions a bit by sewing the squares to the background fabric and then using free motion, quilting the piece with gold thread.

Next, I want to do some hand embellishments.   After that I want to introduce some gesso, acrylic paints, stamps, etc.   What do you think?   Have you ever done mixed media art quilts?   I have to tell you that this is a lot of fun.   

Stop by tomorrow and check out my next journal page.   How are you doing with your journal?   I would love to see some pictures...

Thanks for visiting...