Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Heatwave Gone and Another Newspaper Basket

Can you believe it's in the mid 50's right now...and raining?    From mid 90's to mid 50s in a day!  Wow, is this weather weird or not?  Of course, rain means no mowing...I'm going to have hay by the time it stops raining!!!

I decided to try weaving a different type of basket using the newspaper yarn.   First, I made the spokes by taking a full size sheet of news print and dividing it into four sections (widthwise),   Then I rolled each section (lengthwise) into small spokes.   I made eight spokes like this using a bit of stick glue to hold the spokes closed.   To weave I needed an odd number so I made one more only using 1/8th of a sheet of paper (widthwise).

I took the small size spoke and folded it in half around one of the other spokes making one complete spoke out of the two halves.   I then placed the other spokes in criss-cross circular pattern and began weaving using the newspaper yarn, pulling it as tight as I could.   By the way, I found that newspaper yarn is very, very strong.

Once the bottom was woven, I bent the spokes up and began weaving up the sides pulling the spokes closer and closer...
 

When the basket was a tall as I wanted, I bent the spokes down and began weaving a collar.
 

This is what the basket looks like...


You can see how tightly it is woven.   I think it's rally neat that I can make a solid container like this only using newspaper.  Now it's back to making more newspaper yarn!!!

I treated myself to some reading material this past weekend...

The ideas in these magazines are fantastic and a joy to read.   Normally I don't buy them all, especially all at one time,  but it had been so long since I purchased any magazines that I decided to treat myself and get them all!!!

Here's my latest ICAD challenge cards.   They are fun to make, but they do take some time...


That's all for today.   Thanks for visiting...

Talk to you tomorrow...