Monday, December 7, 2015

LONGWOOD GARDENS AND CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS

How's your weather?   It is warm here...high in the 60's and low in the 40's!   It doesn't quite feel like winter - actually, it's not winter for a few more weeks - but it sure is nice for walking.   I went out today just to walk around and maybe do a bit of window shopping.

This past Saturday, I visited The Longwood Gardens with family.   It was beautiful.   And with such warm weather it was a treat to walk around.   First thing we saw was the fountain gardens preforming to a Holiday Song.   This is the smaller of the fountain gardens but it was still very impressive.   The larger one is closed for maintenance...

There's so much to see that it's hard to choose.   But here are a few more pictures...






A great (and funny) organist lead folks in a holiday sing-a-long.   The room held a ton of people along with a fantastic organ and one of the largest inside Christmas Trees I have seen.  

We didn't stay for the evening light show but looking at all the lights strung on the grounds, it had to be really beautiful.

On the way back from the gardens, we did take a side trip.   When I lived on Staten Island, I always thought that they had more outside decorations than any other place I've lived...and I've lived in quite a few.   It hasn't changed.   The decorations were plentiful and beautiful.

I did notice two things.   Blue must be the in color because it was all over.   And I saw fewer blow-up decorations this year than previous years.  A wonderful treat...

So, how's your decorating going?   Is your house decked out, or does it look like mine did with boxes and bags all over the place?

Well, I have to tell you that my home is decorated except for the tree which is still a work in progress. I made a wreath for the door...the actual wreath was a thrift shop purchase ($1), I had the bells, the silver ribbon (the type with a cord to pull and create ruffles) so I put them together and this is what I created...

The entryway does have a table now.   It was the one that was in front of the three windows where the tree is now located...

I have my lawyers shelves in the dining area, decorated, of course.   The very top shelf has an old handmade sleigh, reindeer and santa.   They were made by the Sandos, a close next door neighbor to my grandma's home in Ogilvie, Minnesota...
I'm thinking that these are close to 90 years old, thereabouts.

The next shelf is my Precious Moments Creche...

The next two shelves hold my Mistletown Village.   I just love this decoration...

And rounding out the shelves are my collection of Santa's from different cultures...

There's more but I'll just close with my tree without ornaments...
It's a small tree...6 1/2 feet.   But it looks nice against my newly hung lace curtains.   I had these up in the house in Portland, Maine.   And I really like them on the three windows in my apartment.

There's a new weekly prompt posted.  This month is going to focus on being thankful.   Even if you don't have time to write or create anything, spend a few minutes each day thinking about those folks you are thankful for.   Above all...relax...breath...don't stress yourself out.

Thanks for stopping by...
Talk to you tomorrow...