Tuesday, May 10, 2016

THE BROOKLYN BRIDGE PARK & FULTON'S LANDING

Remember I said that Monday's plans were delayed until Tuesday, that is today.   Well, I followed through with my plans and had a great time doing it.

My aim was to walk around DUMBO.   But instead of transferring trains, I stayed on the R and got off at Court Street which is not exactly the DUMBO area.   But I found a few places to visit on the way.

While walking in a lovely old neighbor, I was surrounded by the most sweet smelling perfume.   Do you know what they are?

They are Lilies of the Valley...
And the entire yard was covered with these sweet-smelling flowers.

I passed by an old Gothic Revival Church built in 1844.  The congregation, The First Unitarian Society of Brooklyn; A Unitarian Universalist Congregation, was started in 1833.



And look at these flowers on the side of the church...


Leaving the church, I walked by the St. George Hotel which is now co-op apartments.  It was once the largest hotel in New York City.  It was 30 floors high with 2632 rooms.   Many of the soldiers returning from WWII in the 1040's stayed in this hotel.


I then headed for Willow Street to check out the Truman Capote home.  This is where he wrote Breakfast at Tiffany's.   Unfortunately, it was being remodeled so it was totally blocked and shrouded. To give you an idea of what the house looked like I took a picture of the home next to it.

From the Capote house I walked to the promenade, a short block away.  You can see Manhattan from the promenade...

And from the promenade you can walk down to the Brooklyn Bridge Park which is next to the East River.   I spotted this historical sign about the Brooklyn Bridge Park area, something I didn't know about...

It's a beautiful place to sit and watch the water traffic, read a book or just enjoy the sun.  The walk continues on to the Fulton Landing where Robert Fulton first showed his steamboat in 1814.

You can also catch either a ferry to Manhattan or a ferry up the East River from the landing.   And you are very close to the Brooklyn Bridge...



There's a restaurant on the landing...

And the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory.   Cash only.   A bit on the expensive side but the ice cream was very good...

On the landing fence, I spotted something a bit unusual...
...tons of locks!?!?

You can see the Manhattan Bridge from the landing...

...which is where I headed after enjoying my ice cream.   But I will save those pictures for tomorrow.

Thanks for stopping by...
Talk to you later...