Wednesday, January 25, 2017

MIXED MEDIA PROJECT - A NEW JOURNAL COVER

'The violets in the mountains have broken the rocks."
Tennessee Williams

Think about that saying for a minute...those precious, small, delicate flowers actually break rocks. Well, if they can create space for beauty, certainly we can create space for a new beloved community. It will take all of us but I have faith that the better angels of our nature will not only guide us but give us the courage to break into that new reality of peace, justice and love for everyone.

MIXED MEDIA PROJECT - A  NEW JOURNAL COVER

I have finished the cover for a new journal.  Remember it began with fabric markers on a piece of painter's cloth...

I added decorative, shiny yarn, tulle and quilted with free motion and then added lace and trim to complete the cover...

To make this into a book, I used two more pieces of painter's cloth to envelope heavy cardboard...

To secure, I stitched all around the cardboard and then zig-zagged all over...

To make the inside covering, I choose two pieces of green fabric - one to cover and one to make pockets - and sewed them together...

To put all three pieces together, I used Steam-A-Seam. I applied it to the back of both the green piece and to the back of the front cover. I then sandwiched the painter's cloth with the cardboard inserts between the front and back covers and ironed well! After ironing, I did stitch around the outside and down the spine.

Next, I added lace to both the inside (small green) and the outside (gathered white) as well as some ribbon and roses.

And here is my new journal cover...

I will be adding signatures by sewing them into the 1 1/4 inch spine, I really love the way this cover turned out. I think that I will be finishing each sixteen page signature before adding it.  

The weather was beautiful today. I went out to move Lady J to a Friday spot. The temperature was around 50. The sky was a clear bright blue. There was no wind...just the wonderful, warm sun shining down. Hope that you are experiencing a beautiful day also.

Thanks for stopping by...
Talk to you tomorrow...