Monday, January 23, 2017

WITH CHALLENGES COME OPPORTUNITIES

LIVE IN HOPE RATHER THAN IN FEAR


THE NEW FABRIC PROJECT

Remember my new fabric project? First a mosaic creation with fabric...

Adding yarn...

And more yarn along with embroidery floss...

And finally, free motion quilting everything together...

I used a shiny gold thread to quilt this piece. It doesn't really show up on the photo nor too much in real life. Every once in a while, the light will shine on a thread and it will sparkle but that's the extent of it's visibility unless examined very closely. 

The piece does have a 'painterly effect' but is not an exact representation of a painted piece. I enjoyed the freedom this technique afforded me so I am going to continue making a series of 'painterly effects' fabric creations. Stay tuned...

MIXED MEDIA PROJECT

When I cut the painter's cloth into backgrounds, I decided to try a mixed media project with one of the backgrounds. So, I first used fabric markers...

I seem to be drawn to shiny lately...maybe it's because it is so dreary outside? I added some shiny ornamental yarn...

I covered the yarn with pink tulle and again quilted it with gold thread. The tulle was difficult to sew so when I finished with one round of quilting, I covered the entire piece with Diamond Glaze. After the glaze dried, I quilted even more.

I wasn't sure what I was going to do with this piece at first but after quilting more I decided that a journal cover would be nice. So I added lace and trim...

I added more to separate the covers from the binding area...

It's not finished but I have a good start on my journal. Stay tuned here also...

MONDAY'S SEWING TIP

I don't remember reading about this tip but I was advised about it by several folks who were experienced in sewing both clothing and quilting. It has to do with how you sew opposing seams. I have to say that I have experienced the frustrations of not doing this myself. 

The best way to illustrate this tip is to give you an example or two. If you are sewing the side seams, either inner or outer, of a pair pants, for instance, a better result will occur if you sew them the same way. And this applies even if you have the seams pinned or basted. So, if you sew from the waist down on one side, you need to sew from the waist down on the other side. Same goes for the inner seam, you need to sew down from the crotch area on both sides, not up one side and down the other.

I actually found that applying this tip also works well with the side seams of quilts, especially if you use the envelope technique.  

So, this Monday's sewing tip is: SEW OPPOSING SEAMS IN THE SAME DIRECTION.

Well, that's it for today, folks. I hope you survived the weekend. The Worldwide Women's March was fantastic. Now we need to take all that energy and use it for good for all of our neighbors.

Weather is turning cold, windy (gusts up to 80mph) and wet tonight so it will be a great night to curl up and read a good book.

Thanks for dropping by...
Talk to you tomorrow...