Thursday, February 23, 2017

STERLING FOREST PARK

The Sterling Forest Park is a great park to visit.

The park center which includes restrooms, information center and a small shop is located at 116 Old Forge Road, Tuxedo, New York. There is a beautiful deck overlooking Sterling Lake. There are also several miniature 3-D layouts of the park, the old ironworks and the old town. Stop by to get information and maps of the different trails.

There was still a lot of snow today (This is the second day at this park.) and many of the trails were muddy, but I did enjoy hiking. On the blue trail there is an outlet from the lake.



I went on The Lakeville Ironworks Trail as far as I could go...some of the area had a lot of snow, about 12" deep, other parts had ice, and, of course the mud.

There was a town of Lakeville at one time...

But only one house remains...

The furnace is large and reminds me of the hand-stacked rock walls...


There's a large table commemorating The Sterling Furnace...

The Hoist House was interesting and again made of stone...


The last of the building I saw were the crusher and dryer...

I didn't make it to the mine shaft area - too muddy - so that will be on my next trip to Sterling Forest Park.

Tomorrow, I will be going to another park for some final hiking for the week. Each day I have been able to add a couple miles thanks to my walking stick.

That's all for today...
Thanks for dropping by...
Talk to you tomorrow...