Friday, July 19, 2019

DISAPPOINTING BLOCK EXAMPLES


Hot, Hot, Hot!!!  Toss in the humidity and miserable is the best word I can think of to describe me.  I don't have air conditioning in my studio so the only way I could continue to work was to have the fan about ten inches away blowing right on me...get the picture.

But I did get some creative work done.  I knew that working on anything physical was out of the question so I worked on creating samples.  And am I glad I did.  The result from the instructions was less than impressive.
And this was the best of the samples.

So I decided to try something different.  I began with a piece of fabric rather than a piece of felt...

I then just alternated laying down folded pieces of fabric leaving a portion of the background fabric showing.  Kind of like the pineapple block.

I added the second layer...

Once it was hand sewn down, I evened out the sides...

Then I added the side strips and trimmed the block...

I am sure that the heat was a major reason, but after a ton of starts and stops, and almost an entire day, this is the finished product.  I realize that my choice of fabrics was not the best.  But to me the block is kind of blah!

Back to the drawing board tomorrow...in the middle of another, hotter, day...

If you are experiencing a heat wave take care of yourself...
Drink lots of water...
And relax...
See you on Monday...