Wednesday, October 7, 2026

It was actually in the high 30's this morning!  Quite a fast change but I guess it is October.  And there's already a hurricane on the horizon...looks like more rain is in our forecast next week!  

Although cold, the sky is blue, there's only a small breeze and the trees are still mostly green but starting to change.

I made chicken and gravy with rice and a corn pudding for supper last night.  Tasted pretty good.  I used the iron skillet to make the chicken and gravy and I think that was one of the reasons it was so good.  Can't really beat frying in an iron skillet even though it's quite heavy!

I hope it warms up a bit today so I can work outdoors for a while this afternoon.  I didn't get much done yesterday so I would like to clean out the four raised garden beds.  That will leave the garden plot in the back yard to finish.  I worked in the greenhouse and it's looking more organized.  I moved the potted herbs into the greenhouse to keep them out of the cold.

Today's fall decoration craft is a bit long so you may want to make it over a couple days.  First of all, remember the leaves we made using heavy paper like card stock and fabric?   You will need them for this project.

The supplies you need for the rest of the project include cardboard, scrap fabric, scrap yarn, glue and a scissors.  First cut two acorn shapes (about 5 inches high and 4 inches wide) and a pumpkin shape (about 8 inches wide and 7 inches tall) out of cardboard.  I remembered to take a picture of the acorn but forgot to take one of the pumpkin...


Using glue I covered the acorns with brown fabric but you can leave it plain or even paint it if you want...

I then glued on yarn to designate the cap but you can use a different color fabric or even paint.  I also outlined the edges with a bit of yarn...

Once the pumpkin shape was cut out, I covered it with fabric, using glue, but again you can paint it or even leave it plain.  I glued on yarn to designate the sections and around the edges, and then, using a scissors, carefully make three holes as shown.

I tore four long strips of fabric.  Three I threaded through the holes and tied a knot in the back.  With the fourth strip I made a bow for the top of the pumpkin, tying it around the stem of the pumpkin.  Next, using tacky glue, I glued the leaves and acorns unto the torn fabric strips.  Be sure to let the glue dry well before using.  And here's what the finished project looks like hanging up...

It looks even better in person then the picture illustrates.  And all you need is some cardboard, scrap fabric and yarn and some glue.  Not too shabby if you ask me.

That's it for today...

Have a wonderful day and take some time to explore outside...

Thanks for stopping by...talk with you tomorrow