Wednesday, January 24, 2018

SAMPLES & GOING DEEP


Interesting. The theme for the week for One Little Tag is purple. These little flowers would fit the bill!

So, today and tomorrow are a little cooler - in the mid 40's and high 30's but then we're back to the 50's. Unless we get some more snow, I am ready for warmer temperatures. I also have to say that I really love the fact that it gets light earlier and stays light a lot longer.

I finished all the embroidery and bead work on my sample. I will finish the piece with a backing. I am thinking about adding low loft batting and do some hand quilting but not sure if I want to take that much time with a sample.
I like the concept...fabric collage is something that I absolutely adore...and I like embroidery work. Just not really happy with this sample.  It could be fabric choices or my embroidery work. I am going to continue making samples of this technique but choosing fabrics with embroidery work in mind.

On another project, here's the hoop so far...
Again, this is a sample. I added the yellow flower to cover up a mistake in the crocheted piece. The gold thread is visible against a black background but not so much without it.  I am going to add strands of different types of yarn and thread hanging down for this dream catcher.  I am not satisfied with the screw at the top but have not figured out how to disguise it yet.

I am beginning slowly to take down my decorations. Some are going to relatives and some are going to friends. My aim is to decrease decorations by one third. That may sound like I will be left with very little...have no fear, I have a lot of Christmas decorations!

So are you going with deep rather than wide this year. In other words, are you exploring what you already have or are you beginning new ventures? I think the answer to that has to do with several things.

For instance, at my age, I really do have a great variety of craft things. But, I feel that folks have to explore ideas that they are attracted to even if it turns out that they aren't that interested after trying it.

What going deep to me means that I will stop trying everything new (unless I am really, really, really interested) and work on improving those artistic projects and techniques that I love doing but may ignore in light of the latest trend. I always return to fabric/yarn/embroidery so I think that's where my heart lies. Now the trick is to put all three together...that's where collage comes in.

Well that's it for today...
Thanks for sharing some of your time here...
Talk with you tomorrow...