Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Fun Time Was NOT Had By All


Whew!!!  Yesterday evening was one of those 'one of a kind experiences' that you really do not want to experience.   One of our computers was infected with Desktop Defender 2010.   Let me tell you, this is not nice!   And definitely, 'a fun time was had by all' does not apply.   After tele-conferencing with two computer savvy techs for a couple of hours, the decision was made to do a scorched earth procedure on the hard drive because DD2010 was so deeply embedded into the computer...that is basically wiping everything off the hard drive and re-installing it.   

We are going one step further and putting in a new hard drive and using Ubuntu which is a free operating system based on Lenox.   There is plenty of software like Open Office which is a great word processor, Firefox for internet hookup, etc. all of which are free to turn it into a great computer.   As a matter of fact, I do have another computer set up like that which works wonderfully.

And now you know why I did not get to post my blog.   
 


PICTURE OF THE DAY
This is our tree, and after the wonderful experience with the computer, I needed some time to relax and just drink in the beauty and calmness of the tree.  As you can see, our tree is very tall and slender.   We chose this size to fit our town house.   It makes a big impact, but takes up relatively little floor space.  

MONEYWISE, SO FAR

I'll talk more about the challenge with money that I have undertaken on Friday, but I did want to post something I purchased yesterday...before the 'computer event'.   I went to Target to pick up some meds and, of course, as ACMoore Crafts is right there I had to wander in.   I wasn't looking for anything in particular – probably not a good thing to do – but I did find something....six somethings.



 
  
These 'suitcases' are made out of thick cardboard, much like hat boxes.   They have a handle which is well attached plus a closure.  And I could not resist them.  So I got two sets of three and as you see they snuggle inside one another.  They will be great for decoration as well as storage.
 


 
 
I decided to seal them, so after the computer event, and sitting down by the tree, I brushed a sealer on both the inside and outside of each suitcase.   This has made them even more sturdy.

And now the great thing about the purchase....
The small suitcases were only $2.00!
The medium suitcases were only $2.50!
The large suitcases were only $3.25!
So I got all six for only $15.50 plus tax.   Now that's a pretty good deal.  

And I have already decided that how I will use them is by putting different projects with everything needed (well, except sewing machines, etc.) in the box. This way I will be able to pick up a project and take it wherever I want.  I am even considering using them as my travel box(es) of crafts.  But, at home, I really like the idea of a project per suitcase.   Do you suppose that that means I have to have six projects going at once...okay you can laugh now because I am sure all of us have even more than six.


Hope your day was fruitful.

Thanks for visiting...