Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thursday's Ramblings

PICTURE OF THE DAY:
I took this picture on our rainy walk on Mackworth Island.   These straight trees looked completely out of place on this island of gnarled and broken trees.  Almost a mystery...

Today was a day to reflect and relax as well as Skype with a friend.  (It really is a great way to discuss books face to face while living half a country away!)

Do you take time for reflecting and relaxing?   Or are you caught up with all the day to day running of life?   Do you take the time to really be in the moment or are you always thinking and planning ahead for the next item on the schedule?

The old cliche 'Stop and smell the roses' really does sum it up.   One blog I read recently was the plea from a mother to stop her children from growing up so fast.   Ask any mother with grown children and she will probably tell you that one day they were babies and the next they were out the door to adulthood.  And the question in her heart is probably 'Where did the time go?'

Well, time is constant, but how you spend it will give it the feeling of either flying by or dragging on...the key is to be present.   When you are on a walk, don't spend all your time making mental lists of what needs to be done.   ENJOY THE WALK!    When you're folding laundry, feel the clothes and remember the person who wore it last.   When you're fixing dinner,  remember who will be at the table to share the meal.  When you're reading a bedtime story, don't rush through it so you can check off another item on your list, relish the time you're spending with the listener. 

I'm a great one for planning for all possibilities...if this happens, we can do this...and if that happens, we can do that...sometimes I get so involved in figuring out how I can live my life that I forget to LIVE MY LIFE.   

I have to stop and tell myself.  Okay, this is where I am right now and right now is all I have.   And no matter how hard I try, I can't live in the past and I can't live in the future....and if I don't remember to live in the present, then I too will wind up looking back asking...'Where did the time go?'

Well, enough ramblings.   I hope your day was great.

Thanks for stopping by...