Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Stormy Weather

PICTURE OF THE DAY:
Dark, right?  This was taken in the afternoon about 4:30 from my studio window...the weather was already 'going south'...but this was just the beginning.   Several tornado warnings, the last count of lighting strikes I heard was over 14,000.   Rain, hail and lots of wind.  

There was a tornado heading for our area, and I do mean right where we live, but it fell apart when it went over the water of Casco Bay.  Lots of damage, trees down, lots of folks without electricity.  

And guess what, it sounds like there's another set of storms on the way.   At any rate, this is why my craft is not totally completed and why you are seeing my first 'draft' - no time to work on a second, more finished piece.

WEDNESDAY'S CRAFT
Thus, my Wednesday Craft is not completely finished, but I did manage to do most of it.   I was going to make a butterfly block...but I just can't get into the quilting mode right now.   So I made a butterfly to add to my journal.  It's out of lace and beads.   And here it is....ta da!!!!


Making this butterfly is really easy.  First, I cut four wing shapes out of two sizes of lace.


To stiffen up the lace and make sure it didn't tear, I brushed on a coat of Mod Podge - both sides.   I put a piece of plastic under the lace wings...actually an old zip bag that was torn...

Then I stitched the two larger wings together...

Then I stitched the smaller set of wings on...

I used beads to make up the body and these I sewed on...

I thought the edges needed some trim so I glued on some beads...

I think I want to try it again and decorate it differently.   Maybe use some tiny gold rick rack on the wings and maybe some glitter glue.   

Well that's all for tonight.  

Thanks for stopping by...