Thursday, June 13, 2013

Maine Coastline

The general coastline of Maine isn't very large.   For instance, it's about 240 miles from Portland, Maine to Eastport, Maine (northern Maine city on the coast).   However, if you add up all the little fingers that reach out into the ocean, as well as all the islands, you get a much larger figure.

Today, I woke up to bright, sunny weather and decided to take a drive out one of those little fingers.   I took Route 123 out to the end.   About 20 miles from Highway 1.   Of course, by noon, the clouds moved in and by 4 pm, light rain made an appearance!

The surprise was that I had been on this road with my husband many, many years ago.   And we ate at the restaurant that was at the end...great seafood!   As a matter of fact, it reminded me of one of my less than stellar moments.   It was so beautiful and peaceful when we had reached the end of the road that I remarked to my husband that it would be great to live on an island.

At that, my husband began laughing...so hard, as a matter of fact, that the folks who parked next to us thought there was something wrong.  Now, you have to know where we lived at the time to understand...it took me a couple beats to realize the incongruity...we lived on Staten Island, one of the five boroughs of New York City.  And yes, Staten Island is truly an island.   You can either get there by the ferry or one of the four bridges!!

At any rate, here are a few pictures from the end of Route 123 and the town of Harpswell.  I believe that the flowers are lupines...









I think that Route 24 is the next road I will be taking out to the end.   It's the 'finger' just north of today's trip.

Thanks for stopping in...

Talk to you tomorrow...do you realize that it will be Friday tomorrow?   Wow, another week blasting by...