Thursday, August 15, 2013

INCHIE CHALLENGE 15 and A DISCUSSION ABOUT 'INCHIE ART'

It was 52 degrees when I got up this morning....52 degrees at 7:00am!  A bit cool for August,  but refreshing.   It will seem like fall when I watch Preseason Football this evening. 

So, someone asked a question about 'Inchies' and what determines whether they are art or not?   The old cliche 'art is in the eye of the beholder' may apply in some respects.   One definition of art is 'the expression or application of human creative skill and imagination'.

If one person draws or paints an original picture and another person places resources like designer papers, stickers and stamps in a distinctive arrangement - aren't both unique creations?...aren't both art?

I think that whatever someone creates...decorating their home, preparing a meal, painting a picture, writing a letter,  or arranging unique supplies...art is being created.   And I have found that when a person enters a creative adventure using supplies with which they are comfortable, that person, after a while, is eager to step outside their comfort zone and try something different.

As I have said before, one of the reasons that I have chosen to create 'inchies' with supplies that are easily acquired and easy to use is to provide that comfortable entry to creating inchies. 

Here's today's challenge inchie.   I call it 'Fall Leaves' (seems appropriate for today!!!)...
It's actually a collage using a variety of fall color designer papers cut in unique shapes,  each one edged with a red/orange marker and then stacked in a random manner and glued down.   I finished the edges of the base itself with orange paper tape.

The top leaf is actually a leaf-shaped brad.   I used my hand drill to create the hole after the collage was glued down to the base.   Once the brad was pushed through and the prongs spread on the back, I glued a cardstock weight piece of paper on the back to cover the brad.

Another easy-to-do inchie...what are you waiting for?   I know you can create beautiful inchies if you give it a try...

Thanks for visiting today...
I hope to see you tomorrow...