Tuesday, September 22, 2015

ANOTHER HOLIDAY IDEA - EYE CANDY QUILTS

Well, I forgot to take a picture of my bike...will try to get one in for next week.   My next four days are going to be busy ones.   Not sure if I will be able to get a bike ride in or not.  And I still haven't come up with a name yet.

BUT, I found another new idea for the holidays.   Actually, the idea kind of hit me in the face.   Remember I told you about the program at the Empire's Quilt Guild with Melody Crust.   AND that I purchased an older book of her's called 'Eye Candy Quilts'.   These quilts, quite simply, are very, very small quilts (think 3 by 5 inches or there abouts) on which she experiments with embellishing.

As I was thumbing through the book, I realized that these would make neat holiday card type of greetings that could be hung.   So, I pulled out my stash of holiday fabric...

Paired off different fabrics, cut them to size and added some batting...

Next, sew them up and add the embellishments.   Here are a few sewn...(They are much straighter than they appear in the photos.)



I also have some fussy cut additions...

Now, all I have to do is stitch closed the top and begin to add the embellishments.   In the book, Ms. Crust used a lot of beads, buttons and trim.  I have plenty of all three.   When done, I will attach a gold rope for hanging.

I'll have the opportunity to practice my embellishments AND get a head start on holiday items.   What do you think?   I think it's a win/win.

Well, tomorrow I will be thrifting...the latest count is fifteen stores.   None in Manhattan because the UN is in session and the place is already barricaded for the Pope's visit.   Can't wait until I have to go in on Friday and Saturday.   Should be fun!!!!

Thursday, it looks like a hike upstate somewhere.   With the cool weather, I am all for doing that and then Sunday...well, I just may collapse.

Thanks for visiting...
Talk to you tomorrow...