Thursday, October 3, 2019

HEAT, BUGS & MY CHALLENGE PIECE...


Well, like I always seem to say...best laid plans and all that...I was going to post yesterday but it was downright hot.  Make the HOT...HOT.  91 here...where I live...91 degrees.  On went the air conditioners.

And I chose yesterday  to cook.  Not a lot but more than enough time in a hot kitchen.  Meatballs...

and rice and peas...

So, the other situation was...dare I say...a swarm of stinkbugs!  I was working in my studio when I realized that I was hot...so I turned on the air conditioners and went to close the back door.  There, on the screen door, were about 150 stinkbugs.  I mean, I had to look for a place to see the outside.

I quickly closed the door, caught the ones on the inside.  Then went downstairs, out my bedroom door, into the garage and back upstairs on the outside and sprayed the area around the back door.  Even though it wasn't aimed at stinkbugs, they didn't like it and flew away.  Of course, it was so hot that I worked up a sweat just walking from the front to the back of the house. 

It is October, right?

So today I have been working on my challenge about Women's Rights.  I use challenges to try out techniques or color combinations that I normally do not use.  I wanted to make a multi-media piece. 

After getting the major pieces down, I decided to try my hand with fabric markers.  There are lots, and I do mean lots, of mistakes but I did enjoy using a marker.  Here's what it looks like so far.  The dark fabric edges are only laid on the piece so they are not straight...

Again, the color is way off.  (It's very dark out...we've had rain all day...Oh, and it's only 63 degrees. Now I need a heater.  Go figure!!!)

But the next thing I want to add is pieces of glass.  Well, not glass but clear plastic.  I decided that I would laminate two pieces of laminating sheets together without anything inside and cut that into pieces.  They would be clear and fair stiff.

My next question is how to attach the plastic pieces.  I am thinking that I would first quilt the piece with low loft batting and then add the plastic pieces.  I would like them to move.  So, at this point I am going to punch a tiny hole in the plastic piece, add a jump ring and then attach the jump ring to the fabric.

Well, that's all for today...
Hope yesterday wasn't too bad where you live...
Thanks for stopping by...
Talk with you tomorrow...