Tuesday, August 9, 2022

August 9: Summer Enjoyment

Well, today was not quite as hot, but boy, it was so close outside that it was hard to breath.  I don't remember stepping outside and feeling like it was a chore to breath...but the closeness, humidity and totally still atmosphere was unreal.

We didn't get the afternoon showers, but we may get the night ones...and the temperatures for the next week are in the low to mid 80's.  I can handle those numbers.

No new word on the purchase of the house but even with the hiccup still in progress, they think that closing will be this month!  I managed to pack two more boxes in the kitchen.  That's really the only place that's left to do with the exception of my clothes, linens and what I have left in my studio.  Had to have something to do or I would go stir crazy!

If you have kids, it's probably time to get ready for the new school year.  Considering the extreme weather, be sure to leave out summer clothes for those hot late summer days!

It's also getting close to the end of summer which means gathering up your garden produce to save for use during the winter.  Today's emphasis is herbs.

I was not an herb saver to begin with but I have used a few techniques which I am sure all of you have used at one time or another.

First, the best time to harvest herbs is in the morning after the dew has dried but before the the heat of the day.  I think that's when they are at their strongest.  I also like to wash my herbs in cold water and lay them out to dry on clean towels.

Now it's time to decide how to save them.  Freezing works well.  If you have limited space, I recommend that you chop up your herbs into small pieces, place them in an ice cube tray, cover with water and freeze.  When frozen, you can take them out of the tray and place in a freezer bag.  An added benefit is that you can combine herbs in the same ice cube.

If you have more space, after washing and drying you can place the herbs, leaves and stems, in a single layer on a cookie sheet and freeze them.  Once the herbs are frozen, you can place them in a freezer bag.  To be honest, I like the ice cube method better although there is more preparation time.

Drying also works well.  I have a dehydrator and have used it to dry herbs, after washing and taking off the stems.  Once dried, they need to be kept in a clean dry jar.  I have also dried them in a slow oven, but if you try the oven method be sure to watch the herbs.

Drying bunches of herbs is another way folks keep herbs.  I found that I needed to let the herbs (leaves and stems) after washing dry and wilt before tying them up to hang, stems up and leaves down.  Keep the bunches small and check the string every once in a while because the stems will shrink.  Herb bunches lend ambience and a light smell in the area but they also drop their dry leaves from time to time.

And the best thing about preserving your herbs is using them in cooking, adding to beverages and using throughout your home to freshen the smell.

Happy preserving...

Talk with you tomorrow...