Thursday, June 6, 2019

STUDIO REDO PROGRESS & LESSON LEARNED


Well, I am already for the guild meeting on Saturday.  Everything is done!!!  Yeah!!!  So tomorrow I hope to pick up some flowers and veggies to plant.  Yes, I know that I am behind but with all the rain, I really couldn't plant anyway.

So I have finished sorting my fabric. What's nice is that I can now see the fabric much better and I kept only the fabric that I liked and could see using.

And I put up another design wall next to the fabric shelving...

Now I have two design walls.  Remember the other one is on the opposite side of the studio...

And my computer/project area is much more spacious...
The tall white table which right now contains all the stuff I will be bringing to the guild meeting is great for fabric cutting and ironing.  There's plenty of space for the computer and then the black table in the forefront is clear and ready for projects.

The quilt in front of the black table is covering my keyboard.

Next week after I get the planting done, I want to begin going through the shelves and the rolling  carts.  If it's like my fabric stash, I should be able to donate a lot of 'stuff'.

One of the things I needed to do for my second design wall was to hem the sides.  Both design walls are made out of painters cloth which ravels easily.  Well, my sewing machine was giving me problems.  The fabric was getting jammed.  I rethreaded about a million times, I changed my needle, I even used different thread including bobbin thread but it still jammed after about ten stitches.

I finally decided to take off the cover plate and remove the bobbin holder.  I cleaned everything.  Put it back together and tried sewing.  Still jammed up.

Off when the throat plate for another look.  I finally found some fabric literally glued to a tiny plate on the left side.  It took a while to get it off...thread and fabric just plain sticky.  I then took a look at the needle and it too was sticky.

Once I cleaned both the needle and that area inside the machine, I replaced everything and it sewed beautifully.  To test my hypothesis as to where I got the glue, I tried sewing some velcro dots which have adhesive.  After one five inch pass, my machine was already jamming. 

So, I cleaned everything off once more and once again it sews beautiful.  Lesson learned.  I will no longer sew on adhesive velcro dots.

That's all of tonight...
Thanks for dropping by...
See you tomorrow...