Friday, October 25, 2019

R.I.P. ELIJAH CUMMINGS...WE WILL MISS YOU...

Freely Giving Your
Smiles To Others Adds Only
Happiness To Life


I watched The Service to Celebrate Elijah Cummings' Life this morning.  I wish that I had known this gentle giant personally but am thankful for having his example of living life fully with love for all.  The poem, 'I Only Have a Minute' was shared by one of the speakers.  Rep. Cummings recited it as a freshman in Congress the first time he spoke on the floor of Congress and I simply love it...

I ONLY HAVE A MINUTE
by Benjamin E Mays
I only have a minute
Only sixty seconds in it
Forced upon me, can't refuse it
Didn't seek it, didn't choose it
But it's up to me
To use it
I must suffer if I lose it
Give account if I misuse it
Just a tiny little minute
But eternity is in it.

The poem reminds me that we really only have this moment.  This very small piece of time that comes and goes in a blink of an eye that is now.  And what we do with that 'now'?

Rep. Cummings asked everyone to 'just do something'.  It doesn't have to be big, it doesn't have to be spectacular, it only has to be something that you do to make life a little bit better for folks on this blue marble.  Can you imagine how wonderful it would be if we all followed that wish?


The woods are lovely, dark and deep
But I have promises to keep
And miles to go before I sleep
And miles to go before I sleep

The last stanza of another poem, this one by Robert Frost titled 'Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening', was also recited.  I have always loved this poem.  It reminds me that I do have things to do, promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep.  The ability to do something, anything, big or small, right here in my little corner of the world, is both a gift to me and my gift to share with others to make our world a better place. 

Moments to Remember from the Service to Celebrate Elijah Cummings' Life
"Our Children are our messengers into the future that we shall never see."
" Recognize your brokenness, Understand your possibilities."
"Remember where you come from...'

That's all for this week...
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend...
Talk with you on Monday...
And, as Elijah Cummings asked...
Just do something...

MONDAY'S PROMPT
When was the last time you spent
time just for yourself?  What did
you do?  Did you enjoy doing it?
Will you make it a regular habit?