Tuesday, January 19, 2010

A Tuesday in January


 
PICTURE OF THE DAY:
It snowed most of the day today.   When I went out this evening to check the temperature, I saw this tree.  The amount of the snow on the branches was unreal.  So I went back in and grabbed my camera to take a picture before the snow fell off.  Speaking of trees, Herbie was cut down today.   Herbie was over 200 years old and was one of the oldest elm trees in New England. 


 
 
I did work on a couple pages of my journal.    The top picture is of the pages on which I placed the pictures cut out of magazines.  I added some writing and then painted it with yellow oxide acrylic color.   The bottom picture is of two pages on which I wrote a response to a prompt and then covered it with tape.   Can't wait to see what is next on this page....  I guess I have learned that you are really never done with a journal page.   You can always go back and add more to it.   Very interesting!  And I am learning to be less controlling in my work.




I also worked on one page of my fabric book.  I've pinned several strands of yarn in place and I am in the process of sewing them down.   I'm not sure where I am going with this yet, but I have some ideas percolating in my brain.



 
But a great deal of time was spent with my fabric stash.   Last week I was looking for a specific color of fabric and could not find it.   It was then that I realized that my method of storage (stacked on a shelf) was probably not the best for my stash.   Because I only make small projects, I have very small amounts of fabric.   Mostly 1/8th of a yard.   That makes individual pieces very hard to find.  

So today I began folding the fabric and placing the pieces in a plastic container.  The container above has 70 pieces of fabric in it.  And although some pieces are further down than others, it is much easier to fan the fabric and see everything. 

I do not plan on putting large pieces of fabric in the containers, but anything small will be going in them.   I think it will be easier for me to find things.

I also cut out a 6" square of each fabric to add to the traveling craft kit.  And while I was working on the stash I caught up with a couple quilt shows:   'Quilting Out Loud' and 'The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Tims'.  Two very different but excellent internet quilting shows.

Thanks for visiting.