Monday, March 29, 2010

No Spring Chicken....

Well, it is on to the shop for a cable for my camera.   No pictures again.   Hopefully tomorrow.   It was just too crummy to go out today...read that cold and dark and rainy.   Same tomorrow, but then it is supposed to warm up.   I have many errands to run tomorrow, so I will pick it up then.

I found out today that I really am no spring chicken.   I needed to true up the edges on my background panels and the floor was the only space large enough.   So unto the floor we went...the panels, the black muslin lining, the cats and I.   I think I lost!!!   Could not get the cats to stop playing on the top of the panels. 

After doing four panels I had to give it up for today.   But all I have to do to completely finish the panels is to sew the muslin to the panels at the top and that's it.  Fini!   Done!   Completed!   Well, I have to hang them up for the show...

Originally we were going to put up a cable, but the cathedral walls were mostly plaster and could not support that system, so back to working with a system on the floor.   A portable backdrop support system would work but there is so little room that we can't expand the base large enough to be stable.   So we are building another system specifically built for the area.  Fun!  Fun!

I did treat myself to some fun time this weekend.   I have always wanted to manipulate photos with software like Photoshop, but did not want to spend the money.   So I downloaded a free photo manipulating software called GIMP and it is great!   You can do almost as much as you can with the purchased software including layering, coloring, backgrounds, etc, etc, etc.  There are even more free add-ons which I can download later.  

Then I found an free course online to learn how to use GIMP.   The course is no longer available, but all the course work is; so, I began working through it as well as just having fun playing with GIMP.   You may want to give it a try but be aware that this is more than just cropping, highlighting, sharpening, etc. your pictures.   You probably will need to spend some time learning how to use it.

Do you Skype?   Just talk or with pictures?   I Skype with my grandkids usually in the evening but this morning I was treated so some Skype time with our youngest grandchild.   It is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends.   

You need an internet connection and a webcam, but you can use the free version of Skype  which is what I use.  It's the next best thing to being there in person.   And it is a great way to keep in touch.  And you know how fast those grandkids grow up.   At least you'll be able to see them growing up...

Did I tell you I was purging some of my craft things, like my magazines?   Well, I am about done with them and am now onto the books.   I figured that if I have not consulted the books in the past two years, then perhaps I don't need them.   I generally 'google' something on line before consulting a book anyway.   Although, there are a few that I keep just for inspiration.  

I also figured that perhaps someone in my quilt guild could use the book...and I would rather donate it to them than keep it myself.   Also, I need the room.   My studio is not large and I am trying to reconfigure it.    Sometimes I think I spend more time reconfiguring my studio than actually working in it...how about you?

Well, lots going on this week...

Thanks for stopping by...