Thursday, July 29, 2010

Frugal Craft...

PICTURE OF THE DAY:
While taking pictures of my Wednesday's Creation, I shot this one and I really like the way it looked.   It's a picture of tissue paper that has been scrunched and glued.

Wednesday's Creations is a day late, but I was so involved in writing the curriculum that it was midnight before I came up for air.   And I thought it a bit too late to post yesterday.   Actually, I was so tired, I'm not sure I could have posted it anyway.    By the way,  I will definitely finish the curriculum this week.   I'm on the last session!!!!

WEDNESDAY'S CREATION:
This is really a frugal craft.   I've made pins and other decorations many times using this method and you probably have also.   I used regular paper today because I had a stack of it which was printed on one side.   Many times I have used newsprint or newspapers or magazines or even advertisements.

Anyway, the procedure is simply cutting out a design...

I stacked four pieces of paper, copied the design on it and for ease of cutting, I staple the pages together in several places...

Once they are cut out, I use glue, with a bit of water, a brush and stack the shapes gluing in between each one...

Then let them dry.   You can keep them flat, or shape them.   If I'm in a hurry, I will use the microwave on short 30 second bursts turning the shapes over in between each burst...

To smooth the edges, I first cut them and them using a file, I sand down the edges.  You can tell the difference between one that has been smoothed and one that hasn't...

To decorate, I used glue and tissue paper which I scrunched up when applying...

Once both sides are dry, I trimmed the tissue paper and again smoothed down the sides...

Using a rub-on gold paste, I rubbed it on the edges as well as all over the sides.   I then rubbed off quite a bit and buffed to a shine...

The pictures really do not do it justice...

Well, as you can see, for some reason I am into small things.   Maybe this fall, I'll get back to fabric pictures. 

The weather this evening is beautiful.   Cool, breezy, cool, dry...did I say cool!!   Perfect..fall must be right around the corner...

Thanks for visiting...