Thursday, July 8, 2010

Wednesday's Creation...a day late...again?

If you are here to visit my studio, 
click on the Where Bloggers Create link - side bar.


Okay, Okay, I didn't quite make it back to post this last night.   We left Manhattan early enough in the afternoon to miss the usual delays on I95 north towards New Haven, CT.   However, after leaving I95  driving towards Hartford and on to I495 north, we ran into lots and lots and lots of road work.   Most down to one lane on the shoulder...can you feel rumble strips?!?   

Well, at any rate, you know that most of the time, when I am in Manhattan, I take visual pictures, but this time I did something a bit different.   As there was a lot of sitting and waiting, instead of looking, I listened.   No, I didn't try to listen in on different conversations, I listened to voices.   

I counted eleven different languages in this small area and it was interesting to just listen.   To my ear, some languages were clipped, short, and abrupt.   Others were more musical and soft.   Others seemed to flow easily...like a river.   And others seemed to swell like the waves of the ocean.  If you ever have a chance to just listen, try it sometime.   I think you may find that you 'hear' with a 'different ear'!!
 

PICTURES OF THE DAY:
After returning from our trip south, the cats would not leave our side.   Above Chip (left) and Dale (right) stayed with me in the studio, either on top of the workplaces or under my feet or even in my lap!!!  I guess they wanted to make sure that we would stay put.   

Believe me, they were not happy when we got ready to leave for NYC.   They knew something was up as soon as the overnight case appeared on the bed.   They both tried to climb in, but that wound up in a fight...not enough room for both.    So out of the room they both walked with their tails straight up (and very, very full).    I had to just sit down and laugh...

Remember when I told you I was going to fix up the patio?   Well, I did manage to do it so we could enjoy the summer...although with the heat wave, it was hard to stay out.  But I have enjoyed my early morning coffee or tea on the patio.

Here's what the patio looked like before...

And this is what it looks like now...

And here are some detail pictures...

I planted only herbs - basil, dill, thyme, oregano, rosemary, parsley and chives - and flowers this year...no other vegetables.    Last year's crop was such a disappointment - probably due to all the rain.  I really enjoy the patio now.   Wish you could join me for a cup of coffee or some iced tea...

Wednesday's Creations:
Have you heard of 'Inchies'?   They are like ATC's (Artist Trading Cards) only a lot smaller.   They are only an inch square!!!   But you can pack a lot in that tiny square.   This is what I did for our first butterfly craft...


The most important part of this is to make sure that your base is only one inch square (especially if you want to trade them!)   When I first cut out the base I eyeballed it and, wow, was I off...so take out that ruler and measure.

Then I cut out two butterfly shapes that would fit when I slightly offset them, plus a piece for the body.

Then I sewed the butterfly together...

And finally, I used some small beads from my collection, gold thread and a beading needle to decorate the butterfly.   

I sewed the beads onto the butterfly shapes AND the background to make sure they were securely adhered to the base.   Now, all I have left to do is to attach a back to the inchie and I am done.   

If you are interested in trading them, there are several sites that trade...just google and you will find several.

Well, that's it for today...

Thanks for visiting...