Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Finding a Simpler Life


Doesn't this picture look peaceful and restful? 
Most folks long for a simpler life, more peaceful and restful!
How about you? 

Well, yesterday I invited you to bring a cup of coffee (or tea) and join me for a few minutes about today's possibilities.    

Have you ever wanted to have a simpler life?   Less 'stuff', a less crowded calendar, fewer obligations, even less debt?   And, especially more time for the things that you really want to do.  Well, you're not alone...I think most folks have a desire to simplify their life including me.
   
Now, I am not advocating that you find an island in the middle of the ocean and live there alone with just enough to keep you alive.  But I am suggesting that  you take a look at your life and see if there are areas that you would like to simplify.  Take 'stuff' for instance...

Our recent temporary move led me to evaluate how much 'stuff' I still had.   Still had because around two and a half years ago, we moved from NYC to Maine and at that time, we really cleared out almost two-thirds of our 'stuff'.   

Now, don't get me wrong...we had a lot, let me say again, A LOT, of stuff.   And we needed almost all of it at that time.   What we did was to keep the things that we really wanted and give the rest away.  After all, we were downsizing from a household that went from five adults to two adults.

So needless to say, when we went through this last temporary move, I was surprised at how much of what I had kept was 'stuff' that I really didn't need nor in fact wanted.

I'm not suggesting that you pare down to bare bones, clear out your calendar, or eliminate your obligations.  For most of us that isn't even a possibility.  What I am suggesting is that you take a good look at your life and look for areas where you may be able to simplify.

One very important thing to remember is that you and you alone decide what simplifying your life means.   There are many resources that can help in that journey, but in the end, only you can make that decision.

If a simpler life sounds appealing to you, why not join me on Wednesdays and let's explore together what that may mean to each of us.   Our ideas may not be the same, but that's not important.   What's important is that we each find our way to our simpler life.

Thanks for stopping by...

Hope to see you tomorrow for a bit of fun...

Until then, take care...