Thursday, March 3, 2011

Easy Fabric Landscapes

Guess what happened today???

An Easy Fabric Landscape...
How many of you have wanted to make a fabric landscape scene but felt intimidated by the process?   Let me tell you, it is very easy to do.  Try one out to get the feel of the process.  Instead of sewing,  you can simply glue the landscape together either with regular fabric glue or with iron-on fabric adhesive.   You even glue the whole piece together and then stitch it later.   It all depends on what you want to do.

First decide on what size you want to make it.   You can make it as small as you want but I would recommend that you keep it at least 8 by 11 inches.   Yes, you can go smaller but that requires cutting much smaller pieces of fabric.   If you are comfortable with cutting small pieces, go for it.   My sample piece is about 15 by 22 inches.

Next, gather your fabric.   Greens and blues for the background and a variety of colors for houses, trees, flowers, people, animals, fences, etc., etc., etc.   Whatever you want to include in your landscape.

I used a large piece of batting for my design wall.   (Hint:   You can use dressmaker pins to attach the batting to the wall if it is sheet rock and the holes will disappear when removed.  Generally the pin can be pushed in without a hammer.)

I recommend that you freehand cut the fabric, but if you are uncomfortable without a pattern, simply draw a line picture and then follow those cuts.   But try cutting without tracing a pattern unto the fabric.   If you don't like your first try, you can re-cut to shape it the way you want.

I also used a piece of batting on which to pin the landscape.    Here is the first picture with a blue sky and a dark green piece of fabric.    

Next, a light green piece of fabric.

Followed by a dark green piece of fabric.

And my final piece of light green fabric.

For variety, I added a lake.

For fun, I cut some houses - note the roof is of a different fabric than the house.   Also, if you look, the houses are larger than one would expect if this were a photograph.   That's what fun with landscapes.  You can decide what size to make the additional items you are including.

When you have finished cutting and laying out your background, then you need to either sew it down or glue it.   I will be sewing at the top of each separate piece of fabric.    And as I am going to use unfinished applique,  I will not turn the edges under.   Simply sew them down with a straight stitch.   You can also use a zig-zag stitch (with the length set almost 0) to get a finished look.  

Next week, we will continue with the landscape.

Wow, can you believe that tomorrow is Friday!!!   Like I said at the beginning of the week, the days are flying by so fast I feel like I have to grab on to keep from sailing off!!!!   How about you?   Do you suppose it is because we all feel that spring is in the air?

Stop by tomorrow and check out some frugal ideas...thanks for visiting...

My Journey of Change...
I'm sure you have all read or heard the scripture about time.  "There is a time for everything...a time to be born and a time to die..." (Ecclesiastes 3:1-8).   But there is another verse that means even more to me right now.   "Teach us to number our days and recognized how few they are:  help us to spend them as we should."  (Psalm 90:12).

I know that I am more acutely aware of how fleeting life is...our marriage of 43 years seemed to go by in the blink of an eye...but I also understand that I need to recognize that my life can be just as fleeting.  And although it would be easy to just shut down and wait for the end, that would do a great dis-service to both myself and yes, even to our relationship.  

Now, for me, is the time to '...spend those days as we (I) should...' and realize that each day is a gift to me and to others.   What do you think?