Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Plimoth Plantation - the Wampanoag Homesite

WEEKLY PROMPT:
GATHER YOUR DREAMS AND OPEN THEM WIDE
LIKE FALL LEAVES DECORATING THE SKY

(Still having problem with my weekly prompt and thought for the month.   Sorry.)

Plimoth Plantation is truly a unique experience.    I began my visit at the visitors center which houses a great gift shop, a small dining area and an orientation film in the theater.   At present there is an exhibit about the myth and reality of our Thanksgiving Holiday.

The walkway on the grounds are wide and well kept.   Some areas have several steps but there are alternative walkways without the steps.

I thought I would share pictures of the Wampanoag Homesite today.   Before I got to the homesite, however,  I found the 'Gathering Circle' which included both rocks and benches to sit out on.  It was an interesting place to meditate...



The homesite is a gathering of houses and work areas around a center garden.    I was surprised to learn that the Wampanoag children had many of the same types of toys to play with than the English children - dolls, balls, etc. - and they had them before the English children arrived.

The large house was a three generation home...

I loved the shape of the tree in front of the building...

Inside there were three firepits, benches around the perimeter that served as beds.   They hung blankets on the walls and belongings were stored in baskets and bags...



This house was covered with large pieces of bark.   The bark was placed over the inner frame and then kept in place with an outer frame.   You can see both the inner frame which was closely knit and the outer frame which had fewer branches in these pictures.


Single generation family homes were smaller and generally made out of rushes...


There was a central kitchen...

As well as a place to make the large canoes which were burned out first and then shaped...

Well, that's the end of the Wampanoag homesite.   An interesting fact about this living history exhibit is that all the staff in Native clothing were actually Native People sharing their history.  Next time I'll share pictures of the English settlement.

I had visited the Plimoth Plantation many years ago and was impressed by this living museum.   I have to say that it is even better now.   So if you are in the area of Plymouth, Mass. you may want to schedule a visit.

Later this week, I'll let you know how I did with my September goals as well as tell you about what I would like to accomplish in October.

The fall colors are beginning in earnest now.   I'll have to get out my camera and take some pictures to share with you.  My friends are still here but, sadly, will be leaving in the morning.   We had a great time and visited a lot of places....

Thanks for visiting...
See you tomorrow...