Friday, April 16, 2021

Easy Reverse Applique

Talked to my family in Park City and they have about 8 inches of snow...and it is still snowing!  We are under a winter snow advisory but the snow is way up by Albany, not here.  As a matter of fact it is in the 50's today.  Don't think we will have any snow unless the temperature drops drastically.

Weekend plans...hopefully it will be nice enough to check out some of the spring flowers.

Today I will share one of the easiest ways to do a reverse applique which simply is taking away fabric rather than adding fabric.

I used an adhesive backed fabric.  First I designed the reverse applique template out of paper...

I then transferred that design to the adhesive backed fabric with a pencil and cut out the design using a sharp scissors...

Next I ironed this adhesive backed fabric onto the background fabric which completely covered the adhesive backed fabric.

Before quilting, I layered the backing (black), low loft batting, and the adhesive fabric ironed on to the background fabric.  I didn't quilt in the ditch, but what I did do is sew along the edge of each cutout area.


To finish I added a black binding.  Using adhesive backed fabric is a very easy way to do reverse applique.  And since I love working with adhesive backed fabric on many projects, it was an easy go to for me.

Next week I will share the other reverse applique samples that I made.  Until then, have a great weekend...

See you on Monday...