Tuesday, September 13, 2022

September 13, 2022

We had lots of thunder bumpers and heavy rain last night.  I actually haven't heard much thunder this year but then, we haven't had that much rain since June.  Today is the last day for rain and it's pouring down right now with the sun shining! I am hoping that the joint pain will decrease with less humidity which will mean that I can get some more packing done in the garage.

Still no word on the housing situation. This waiting is frustrating to say the least.

So today's focus is fabric.  I am at a bit of a handicap as most of my fabric and sewing machine are packed, but I do have some examples.

If you have lots of small pieces, you can make a scrap fabric fall table piece like this one...

I used small scrap pieces and cut them into basic leave shapes.  I used an adhesive iron on piece (See scrap fabric) on the bottom whole piece and then placed the scrap pieces on.  I also used a bit of tacky glue (one drop) to hold pieces that did not touch the iron on adhesive.

Once I liked the results I then outlined the outside with a black, zigzag stitch.  I outlined the individual pieces with a gold thread and quilted it heavily.

This piece has lasted for years including regular washing.  It makes a great place for a centerpiece on your table.

Another easy way to make a table runner is to cut a piece of fabric with fall leaves the width and length you want, then add a two inch plain border around it. (See three examples in picture below.)  

I do not use batting for table runners, so once the border is sewed on, take another piece of fabric (A good place to use of that fabric you don't really care for!) the same size as the 
table runner, pin right sides together and sew a 1/2 inch seam around the edge leaving a three to four inch opening on one side.  Turn, iron and finish by hand sewing the opening used to turn closed.

A very easy pattern to use for a table runner is the maple leaf pattern.  When you look at it, it has three squares of one color, one square of another, four half square triangles and one with the stem inset although you can eliminate that one and simple use a plain square so that you have two squares of one color.  See pattern.

If you make the square large, save a twelve or sixteen inch square, you can make three to five for a runner, add a border if desired and finish it as above.  I have made several of these blocks for all sorts of items from hot pads to tea cozies to pillows to small throws.  It is very easy to make.

That's all for today...
Enjoy the rest of your day...
Talk with you tomorrow...