Tuesday, September 27, 2022

September 27, 2022

Still no word on closing.  Hurry up and wait seems to be the norm...putting life on hold in a way.  Not much we can do about it but wait!

It's been cool.  I haven't turned on the furnace but I have used a little heater a couple times...like right now.  It's in the mid 50's outside and in my studio which gets afternoon sun it is quite cold.

Now that there is little to do in the house, I have been reading a lot.  I finished the Rita Mae Brown Sneaky Pie Brown mystery series.  I am still reading Ann Perry's Inspector Pitt and Charlotte mysteries.

I am also reading the newest book by Neil DeGrasse Tyson titled 'Starry Messenger:  Cosmic Perspectives on Civilization' which I am thoroughly enjoying.  It provides a very interesting view life.

Today's focus is fabric and if you are like me you have a ton of fabric scraps.  I have an inordinate amount of fabric strips so I looked for something different to do with them and I found fabric twine.

The supplies you need are lots of fabric strips about an inch wide, ripped is great, a tiny bit of stick glue if desired and time.

Using two strips, tie together at one end.


What you want to do is twist each strip individually and then twist over each other.  I twist three times the strip in the back, bring it over the strip in the front, then twist the new strip in the back and bring over the strip in the front.  There is more than one way to do this so the best thing is to do what feels most comfortable for you to do.  This is what it will look like.

There are two ways to add strips.  First you could overlap and stitch stripes together or you can simply overlap them as you go along.  If needed, you could add a small strip of stick glue.  In the picture below, I overlapped them too much, half to three quarters inch is enough.

This is what a short length looks like.

So what can you do with fabric twine?  Well, you can make rugs, hot pads, fabric baskets, cover containers, use as decorative elements, etc.  Check out Pinterest for more ideas.  But it's a great way to use scrap fabric rather than adding to the landfill.

Enjoy the rest of your day...

Do you realize that September is almost over?

Talk with you tomorrow...