Thursday, October 13, 2011

Trip to Bennington

I made it to the museum yesterday and it was great.   Of course, I couldn't take pictures inside but the 'Dear Jane Quilt' was beautifully displayed.   And it was brighter than normal.   I asked if it had been cleaned.  They weren't sure about cleaning, but they did say the lighting was better.

And the major exhibit featured Grandma Moses.  The exhibit was 'Grandma Moses and the Primitive Tradition" and it featured many primitive artists along with Grandma Moses.   

I just walked and smiled.   But then I always smile when I see Grandma Moses' pictures.

Here's a couple pictures of the museum...


I also stopped at the Robert Frost home again.   Yes, I have been there before but it was nice to see again.   I especially love his poem "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening.   These are pictures from the Frost homestead...


And guess what, I found tons of milk weed pods.   Unfortunately, they were still shedding their seeds and not dry enough to pick...


And here are a few pictures of the foliage along the way...



Unfortunately, a few of the places that I used to visit were either closed like my favorite store to get baskets;  or, have changed owners like the little Norman Rockwell museum.   It didn't have any original pictures, but the volunteers were people who either were or knew Rockwell's models.   And talking with them was very interesting.

The other quite striking observation was how much damage was done by Hurricane Irene.   Bridges out, roads washed out, buildings destroyed.   I've never seen this much damage done so far inland by a hurricane.

Today it is raining so I'm spending the day writing.   There's lots to do this weekend including quilt shows and fall festivals.   

I'll continue to take pictures to share with you...

Thanks for stopping by...