Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Mesa Verde National Park - say what?

The Mesa Verde National Park is beautiful.   It's everything I hoped it would be...and a lot more!!!   But I have to be honest, although the road is in great shape and banked well...ah...the road is uphill!!!   Way uphill!!!   On the side of the cliffs!!!

There were times when I wondered if I had an extra pair of jeans with me...and other times when I thought forget the jeans...I may need the whole outfit!!!   You see, I am not used to driving where I can look straight down...way down...into a valley which is a long ways away!!!

I thought about turning around, but decided I needed to go on.   Besides, I couldn't find a place to turn around!   Then it hit me...duh...cliff dwellers don't live on the valley floor!!!

Here are a few pictures from the trip up.   The first is the unusual mountain one first sees when entering the park.   Little did I know that I would be traveling up that peak and many more...
 

But I did make it to the Navajo Canyon...

And I saw several cliff dwellings.    In the first picture you can see the entire cliff and in the second a close-up of the dwelling...

And here are pictures of a couple more dwellings...

True to form, I have tons of pictures which I will share later.   All in all, even with the road, I would visit again.   And I would recommend that everyone visit this park if possible.

Tomorrow I head for Moab, Utah and Arches National Park!!!

Thanks for stopping by...

Enjoy your evening...