Thursday, July 12, 2012

Yellowstone

Whatever I say about Yellowstone National Park will not do it justice.   It's big!   It's awesome!  It has everything and then some!   And it's busy!!!

By the time I got back from Yellowstone, I was too tired to even upload my pictures unto the computer yesterday.   But today is different.   So I have some to share.   No, I will not post all the pictures that I have taken.   Just a few to give you some idea of this magnificent park.

The Northern Entrance is called the Roosevelt Arch which welcomes all visitors...


Unlike the other parks I have been visiting recently, Yellowstone has a wider variety of landscapes.   You might be driving next to a river one minute...

And hugging the side of a cliff the next as you drive up the mountain...

Or looking up at a cliff from the bottom...

The landscape may look like a prairie one minute (those are storm clouds)...

Or lush and green around the next bend...

And there are animals...

And geysers spewing...

I have lots more pictures to share including all sorts of animals - even some walking down the highway - and more geysers and even canyons and lakes - some of which I would definitely not want to take a dip in.

It has been hot here...so hot that I have taken the cats with me to Yellowstone.   Not sure if the boys were happy about it, but if the air conditioning in the trailer stopped working due to power outages which it has already done, I'm sure they would have suffered.

Tomorrow I move to Red Lodge, Montana (a short trip) and will be entering the park on the east side.   There is a drive from Red Lodge to Yellowstone, open only in the summer, which is supposed to be one of the most beautiful drives in America.   I plan on driving that one at least twice.

And a note about Old Faithful....well, I did see it go off from a distance - I was driving to the parking area.   Unfortunately, I could not find a parking spot!!!   I told you it was busy.   It shoots quite high up in the air, by the way.   That's why I could see it from the car over all the buildings!!!   I'm going to try to make it again, but there are a few other areas I want to see first.

On another note.   I have been watching the HBO series on John Adams based on David McCullough's book.   It is very interesting and a much more realistic portrayal of our nation's beginnings than what I remember being taught in school.   Beware, you will need a box of tissues for the last program in the series.   But it is definitely worth a watch.

Thanks for dropping by...

Hope to post more pictures tomorrow after I get the trailer set up...