Thursday, March 14, 2013

Bookmaking Revisited Part Three

Well, it's Thursday...the week is about over.   Again I ask myself where did the time go?   Doesn't it seem to evaporate into thin air?   Oh well...

Here's the final part of my bookmaking tutorial.  Remember, this is where we left off...

Use duck tape to cover the back spine.   Cut a piece a bit shorter than the spine length and attach it on the outside to the first and last valley folds...

Take a piece of lightweight cardboard (I used a cereal box.) and cut to fit over the back of the spine plus 1/2 inch on either side.   Fold up both 1/2 inch sides and crease well...

Using glue or Mod Podge, cover with a decorative paper and let dry completely.   I used the same paper that is on the inside of the covers...
 

Attach the spine cover to the book with permanent double sided tape on the 1/2 inch folded area only.   For this step and the next, it is easier to do one side at a time and wait until the glue is completely dried before finishing the other side...

Cut a piece of lace the length of the spine cover.   Use a very liberal amount of Mod Podge both underneath and on top of that lace which covers one half of the spine cover and part of the book.   Do not however, use any glue underneath the spine cover itself.   Use bullclips to secure edges...

Notice that the lace goes halfway on the spine cover and down unto the book itself.   Again, add a liberal amount of glue or Mod Podge.  When dry, repeat on the other side.

For decoration, I simply used several pieces of scrapbook paper, a piece of lace, a pair of decorative scissors, double sided tape and glue (to attach the lace).   You can leave the cover plain or add any type of decoration you desire.

And this is the final book.

I hope you have fun making a book yourself.  

Here's a picture of a different type of journal book.   I made this earlier this year and  have enjoyed using it very much.  I actually think I like the smaller size better.

You can find directions for this on my February 28, 2013 post titled A New Journal.

One more day 'til the weekend!!!

Thanks for visiting...

Enjoy yourself...