Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Day Two Heat!!!

Well, it's another 90 plus day today but somehow it doesn't seem quite as bad as yesterday.   Perhaps it's because I have taken it easy, stayed home and worked on creative ventures.   Tomorrow is supposed to be cooler...good thing, I really need to mow the lawn! 

So, today I enjoyed creating various things.   I stopped at Goodwill a few days ago to check out the books and baskets.   I added another basket to my collection.   This one is not made of reeds.   Instead it's made of twigs...

Not bad for two bucks!!!

While these, I spotted two long sleeve lightweight men's shirts - a plain pink and a plain blue.   They were several sizes larger than I need, but I thought they would make comfortable everyday tops for summer.   And for two bucks a piece, I couldn't go wrong.

So, today I altered them.   First, I cut off the sleeves leaving about seven inches for a short sleeve.   I hemmed each sleeve using a double fold so that no raw edges are exposed...

Next, I cut off the bottom making it even but leaving enough for a nice hem.   Finally, I buttoned up the shirts and then sewed up the front to the second button from the top making them a slip-on top.  They fit nicely and comfortably but were a bit large at the bottom.   Fortunately, I had made a large enough hem to be able to run a 1/2 inch wide piece of elastic through, thus gathering the bottom.

Well, it turned out so nice that I will be wearing these tops more than just around the house.   The pink one had a mend on the back...

I decided to cover it with an applique.   After trying several things, I cut a butterfly out of lightweight material and applied it...

Here are the two shirts...


Here's today's ICAD challenge...

And here's this month's 'twinchie'.   The theme is rain...

Wherever you are, I hope you are keeping cool and comfortable.   Thanks for dropping by...

Stop back tomorrow for more creative adventures...

P.S.   Can't believe that I forgot to post a new weekly journal prompt...must be the heat!   But it's posted now...check it out...