Wednesday, November 11, 2015

NEW LIFE FOR AN OLD UFO

Now that my apartment is organized...well, there are a few boxes that still need to be sorted...and, of course, in a few short weeks I begin all over with the Holiday Decorations.   (And this will be another sorting event because I intend to cut in half my Holiday Decorations.)   But for now, I am looking forward to just enjoying my apartment.

As a matter of fact, I have been working in my studio.   One of the UFO's that I found was this...

It's a collection of leaf patterns cut out from different fall fabrics sewed onto a background and quilted with metallic thread.   But I never finished the edges.   And quite frankly, I wasn't inclined to do so now.   What I didn't need was another fall wall hanging...I have tons.

So, thinking about this, I thought that maybe it would be a nice as a table decoration.   First I zigzagged around the edges...

And then I cut away the background.   I also used a black fabric marker to accent the edges as well as a product to stop any raveling on the edges.   And this is how it turned out...

Very striking...even more so in person with the sparkly thread.   So, I placed it on my coffee table...

I like it.   But, the decision to not make another wall hanging brings up a question...at least for me?   I love making quilted wall hangings but what do I do with them?   I have more than enough to hang on my walls and I have given away at least that many if not more.   So, what to do with the excess.

I thought about opening a store on Etsy but I don't really want to have to continually produce products and I definitely will not sew multiples.   That's just not enjoyable for me.   Any ideas?  

Well, while I ponder that, why don't you ponder this month's new Monthly Thought as well as this week's Journal Prompt.   I think keeping things simple, especially during the holidays is a bonus for everyone.   How about you?   Are you ready to simplify your holiday celebrations, including the old traditions.

I already have one I'm working on this Thanksgiving, but I will share that one later.

Thanks for hanging in there with me...
Talk to you tomorrow...