Monday, November 7, 2016

STILL FINDING COLOR, VOTE, HORIZONTAL LANDSCAPE PRACTICE, SUPERMOON & THANKFULNESS

OUT AND ABOUT, STILL FINDING COLOR
Wow! A touch of winter visited us last night and today.  The complex has put the heat on at night, but during the day, nope...it's a bit cold. (Although, there's a note to all tenants that the water is being turned off tomorrow to fix a valve so maybe that's why the heat is not abundant.)

I am wearing a sweatshirt and a fleece vest...and I am sitting in what sunlight is left.  Hello, standard time!

I did go for a walk today and with the sun shining you can see more color in the trees.  I love this beautiful rust color tree with it's tinge of orange...

Here are a couple trees with the Verrazano Bridge in the background...

There are still some flowers and ornamental bushes that are spectacular.  I don't know what the ornamental bush is called but it is quite striking...


VOTE
Tomorrow's a big day for our nation. I have made it a point to not participate in politics through my blog.  So the only thing that I will encourage is for everyone to think about their choice and to vote.

PRACTICE HORIZONTAL LANDSCAPE
I will be teaching a workshop on horizontal landscapes this coming Saturday for The Empire Quilters. As I was planning the event, I realized that the students may need some practice before they begin using fabric. I decided to put together packets for each participant that includes a 3 by 5 plain card and several small pieces of paper to practice.

Here's what I created out of the paper...

I did this in about ten minutes so I plan on allowing them 15 minutes to create their own paper landscape. I think they will be more comfortable using fabric after this exercise. Agree?

SUPERMOON
Be sure to mark your calendar for the supermoon on November 14. Folks out west could see the moon taking up a giant portion of their sky.  I plan on being out...unless, of course, it's completely clouded over.

THANKFULNESS
This weekend was full of things to be thankful for...visits from family, a successful NYC Marathon and a time to relax.

Today, I am thankful for my ability to walk as easily as I do for someone my age. I was able to walk to the stores on 3rd Avenue, pick up a few things, and walk all around my neighborhood. As an aside to that, I was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience with walking as I've had. Unlike conventional wisdom, I have found it easier to walk with much less pain that I did ten and even twenty years ago. Beats me. Anyone else have that experience?

Well, that's it for today...
There's a new weekly prompt. I love this one about memories. I have to say that I do sit in my grandmother's old rocking chair remembering...and enjoying every minute.
Thanks for stopping by...
Talk to you tomorrow...