Wednesday, January 11, 2017

HOLDING ON TO MYSTERY & WORKS IN PROGRESS


HOLDING ON TO MYSTERY

I love flowers! I think most folks enjoy them but I love them. The fact that from a seed planted in dirt or a cutting rooted in water can produce beautiful creations is a mystery to me. Yes, I do know all the botany and chemistry behind it and I can explain the process. But when I look at a tiny seed in my hand and then the results, well, the best word that I can use to describe my feelings is mystery. A big, beautiful, wonderful mystery.

How many of you look at something and think, well, I can explain it factually but it's still a mystery to me? Sometimes it's better to hold on to the mystery of life...at least to hold it in tandem with the reality.

Yes, mystery of the unknown can lead to uncomfortable feelings. But mystery of the known, well, that can lead to feelings of understanding beyond...beyond to that warmth of gratitude, of joy, of happiness. So, next time you look at something, like a flower, for instance, that makes you smile, think of it as a gift of mystery for you to enjoy.

WORKS IN PROGRESS

When I reorganized my studio I found a couple WIP's and I thought that I would either have to abandon or finish them. The first one is easy...

All that's needed here is some quilting. It's all pinned up with the backing and batting waiting for me to practice my machine quilting.  It's a little busy, especially the sky, but I like it.

The second piece is questionable...

It's a fussy cut abstract flower arrangement. One of the problems is the background. It's not cotton. It's polyester and I don't think that quilting it will work. The flowers are sewn on, though, so maybe it would work. If nothing else, it could be another practice piece for machine quilting. I'll let you know what I decide...

Well, tomorrow is Thursday which means a trip to the restaurant in the Bronx. The weather turned warm today and tomorrow it will be in the 60's. And Lady J has already been moved to a Friday spot, so I think I will leave early tomorrow and enjoy lunch with the students.

Thanks for stopping in...
Talk to you tomorrow...