Thursday, March 16, 2017

FABRIC SCRAP DELIGHTS


This is what greets folks at my door now.  A little fussy, I know, but I had fun making it. And, as most folks on this floor have decorations on their apartment doors, once I took down my holiday wreath, my door looked pretty naked.

I used scraps to make this from both my scrap basket (the background) and my adhesive backed scraps (Welcome).  To keep it stiff I backed it with a piece of painter's cloth using a fabric adhesive and then quilted.  Finally I added the embellishments.

You know, that painter's cloth has come in handy for many projects. And at about $20 for a 9' by 12' piece, it's extremely economical.  You can purchase it from a construction big box store like Home Depot.

But, back to the fabric scraps, remember my scrap basket?

Well, I found out that as big and open as the basket was, it still did not work well. Mainly because of the different sizes of scraps. So, being the obsessive organizer that I am, I decided to organize my scrap basket. If that's not an oxymoron, than I don't know what is...but, hear me out.

The scraps were simply to different in size and, believe it or not, shape. So this is the result of my organizing...

Now I have large size pieces, small size pieces and strips. Best of all, they all fit into the big basket...

As well as a bag of orphan blocks or partial blocks...

And a large bag of adhesive backed fabric...

So, what have I made out of the scraps? Here are four large blocks (14" square) that I recently made...




I plan on making eight more large blocks out of my scraps for a nice quilted small blanket to keep around for those chilly evenings. When I was making all the blankets for Christmas presents a couple years ago...think more than a baker's dozen...I used a fleece blanket for the backing which was both inexpensive (around $3) and easy. And to be honest, I really liked the fleece to cuddle up in. So that's what I will be using to back this blanket.

And, this one is for me.  Sometimes we quilters do not make quilts or other fabric creations for ourselves. I like to give my creations away just as much as the next person, but each of us needs to acknowledge the fact that we also deserve to keep and enjoy our own creations.

This is one of my creations using the small fabric scraps. I will be creating a journal cover with this so once again, I backed it with a piece of the painter's cloth and then I used a close zigzag stitch to outline all the seams.

Well, my eyes are letting me know it's time to stop. The temperature made it just about to freezing, so there is still a lot of ice. Hopefully by tomorrow, things will get warmer and more ice will be disappear. Then, I may be able to get to the post office to mail off my exchange which I will share with you tomorrow.

Until then, thanks for stopping by...
Keep warm...
Take time to do something you enjoy this evening...