Tuesday, January 16, 2018

ADDING 'DEEP' TO 'SEARCHING'


David Cain, blogger at Raptitude.com wrote an article about the new year on December 31st which was as he thought not an article that would get much traction. However, it did and became his most popular one.

He kind of daydreamed about a new year in which no new projects were begun, no new books purchased, no new hobbies started; but, rather, that one 'found value in what was already owned'. In other words, read the books you own, finish the projects you've begun, improve the hobbies you already have.  Basically go deep instead of wide.

He was surprised that the article went viral; but upon reflection, I think that many folks are ready to change from always grabbing the newest thing advertisers spin to finding value in what they already have. It even goes deeper than that, though.

I am of the boomer generation, and when we took a break from all the protests (from Vietnam to racial equality to women's equality) many settled down while still working on those three major issues and began to accumulate 'things'. Not all of us, by a long shot.

The newer generations, though, especially the millennials, value experiences over things. Becoming a less consumer of things has benefits from less debt to less 'stuff' to deal with or discard in our already filled to capacity dumping grounds.

My word for the year is 'searching'. When I was thinking about choosing a word, I did think about searching within rather than without (with the exception of perhaps traveling). After reading his first article and the follow-up one, I think searching deep and valuing what I have now, makes a lot more sense than searching outward.

So, I am adding another word to my word...DEEP...SEARCHING DEEP...that about sums up where I want to explore this year.

I hope you think about this.
For you, maybe adding something new works, go for it.
But, perhaps instead of adding tons of things, one or two would suffice.
That's all for today.
Thanks for stopping by for a visit.
Talk to you tomorrow.