Thursday, January 18, 2018

NEXT INSTALLMENT OF THE 'WE'RE STILL KICKING QUILTERS'


Here's the next installment of the ladies of the We're Still Kicking Quilters group. If you're not familiar with this group, check out the previous installments on the sidebar under the 'We're Still Kicking Quilters'.

MEETING NINE AT GERT'S HOME

“Did you hear how much we made at the Fall Festival?” Ida Rose asked over the individual conversations as the women were relating their stories about the Fall Festival to each other.

“Did you see the little boy fall into one of the quilts...”

“My grandchild rode a carnival ride for the first time...”

“I didn't know how easy it was to make those kaleidoscope patterns...”

“Did anyone try Elsie Jean's new pie recipe...I heard it was a winner...”

“I don't think there was any time that we didn't have at least 25 people looking at all our quilts...”

“My bones ached for a week...”

“I think over thirty folks signed up to get information about our guild...”

“That was the best bar-b-que I have ever eaten...wonder how they made the sauce...”

“I'll ask again, does anyone know how much we made at the Fall Festival?” Ida Rose asked again, this time a lot louder.

“I'm not sure of the exact amount, be we got enough donations to cover all our expenses and still have money left over.” Anna Mae answered. “And everyone was happy about the number of folks interested in joining our guild.”

“I think this turned out to be better than having our quilt show alone.” Wanda Kay added. “And I was able to hand out cards about the opening of the shop. A lot of women were happy to have a local place to get fabric and yarn.”

“I heard that from several folks also” I said. “So, I guess that's going to be our next project, huh?”

“Yep” Wanda Kay replied. “I think the first thing we need to do is finish getting the papers in order and checking out our local regulations. Once that is done, we need to get the shop ready which means rolling up our sleeves and getting dirty. There's a lot of cleaning, painting, building shelves, etc., etc.,etc! I wonder now if a January opening was too hopeful.”

“We will all pitch in, Wanda Kay,” I said, “and each of us can check out things on our own. For instance, I will check out the regulations for having the coffee/tea bar.”

“And I can work with Gert” Martha Kerine added, “and check out the food regulations and requirements.”

“Have you decided on the different areas of items you want to stock?” Anna Mae asked.

“Well, mostly quilting and fabric,” Wanda Kay answered, “but several ladies asked about yarn, so I want to add that area. So that's two - quilting/sewing and crocheting/knitting. But I think we need to have some general craft supplies, and maybe a children's craft area. What do you guys think about other crafts like scrapbooking or jewelry making? I'm not really into either but, again, several folks asked if those supplies would be available...and then there's embroidery and journaling and...”

“Hold on, Wanda Kay,” Anna Mae interjected. “We don't need to have everything for everyone. I think we should stick mainly to fabric and yarn and embroidery crafts to begin with. We can add a small section of general craft supplies with a little of everything, but I do mean small. And I do like the idea of having something for children. The very first thing we need to do is see what type of inventory that shop that's going out of business has and go from there to fill in any holes there are in the the inventory. Then we can see what type of demand is out there. I hope you still want to have a small book area that includes both how-to books as well as some mysteries.”

“Believe it or not,” Wanda Kay said, somewhat relieved, “I am happy that you're there to rein me in, Anna Mae. I was getting overwhelmed with everything. I mean, the number of fabric lines alone are enough to make me dizzy! And yes, I want to have a book section. Some suggested that maybe we could also have some magazines. What do you think?”

“I think we should take Anna Mae's advice and start out small, Wanda Kay.” I answered. “I was wondering how expensive our inventory should be? Seasoned sewers and knitters will want the better quality, but people new to either may want the less expensive stock.

“Start small and build inventory,” Anna Mae added. “But a variety of quality is also a good idea. I'm not talking about the cheapest of everything, but say we have someone interested in knitting. Are they going to want to spend $49 on a skien of hand dyed, hand carded wool? Probably not, so we should carry some less expensive.”

“So, when are we signing the incorporation papers?” Ida Rose asked.

“Carl's brother is drawing up the papers for us this week.” Elsie Jean answered. “He isn't going to charge us anything except the registration fees. So, at our next meeting, we can celebrate our new project by signing the papers.”

“That sounds great!” Ida Rose said. “Who knew I would be part-owner of a fabric and craft shop?”

“So are we definitely going with the old bank building, or is there any other place to consider.” I asked.

“I haven't found any other spaces.” Wanda Kay answered. “But if any of you know of an available space, we could go and look at it.”

“There is that old school building out on route 9 but it may be a bit out of the way.” Martha Kerine said. “And I'm not sure what type of condition it's in. Other than that, I don't know of any other commercial space available in the area.”

“Well, I like the bank building because it is in town and easy for everyone to get to.” I added.

“Tell you what,” Wanda Kay suggested. “Let's take a good look at both places, compare prices and conditions and then make our decision.”

“That's a good idea, Wanda Kay.” Elsie Jean responded. “How about this coming Saturday. We can get the keys to both places and check them out.”

“And I think if I bring Daniel along, he can help us with the conditions of each building.” Ida Rose added.

“That is an excellent idea, Ida Rose.” I said. “I'm not too sure what to look for when judging the condition of a place. I imagine it's more than liking or disliking the paint color.”

“Oh, Gert, you're much more of a handy person than anyone else here.” Wanda Kay responded.

“So, who is going to check out the store that's going out of business?” I asked.

“I thought that Anna Mae and I would drive over and take a look, that is if you have the time Anna Mae.” Wanda Kay answered.

“How about tomorrow?” Anna Mae asked.

“Sounds good to me.” Wanda Kay said.

“I will check out the computer programs to see which would be best for our business.” Elsie Jean volunteered.

“I guess I'm the odd person out.” Ida Rose said. “Is there anything I can do, Wanda Kay?”

“Yes, I was hoping you would check around to see if there are folks who can teach. Maybe crocheting, knitting, something for children...and, of course, quilting.” Wanda Kay answered.

“Sure, I know quite a few folks who would be great teachers.” Ida Rose replied.

“Well, I guess that's it for today...how about lunch...and maybe some quilting afterwards.” Martha Kerine suggested.

“I have lunch already and, yes, it would be a good idea to do some quilting.” I said but thinking to myself that this was almost too easy and whenever I felt that...things had a habit of going awry.

Little did I know about the mystery that was going to fall into our laps. Stay tuned...



Hope you enjoyed this installment...
Next one's a doozy...
Thanks for stopping by...
Talk with you tomorrow...