Tuesday, June 26, 2018

A NEW USE FOR OLD THREAD...


Today is just a beautiful day...high of 73, sunny, light breeze...a perfect summer day. Wish I was swinging on the old porch swing at my gramma's home in Oglivie, Minnesota. Those idle days of swinging away, listening for the train whistle, enjoying the sweet smell of the rose bushes that lined the sidewalk always call me. I think I relaxed more.

Course, the train no longer runs, and the porch swing is gone but the house is still there. No barn nor chicken coop, all gone along with the rain barrel that gramma used to water the garden. I think the back garden plot has also been sold.

I have my memories, though, they are always with me!

So, about thread that is no longer good. If you have read past posts, you know that I enjoy using thread that was saved when I fringed pieces for fabric collages. I was looking at the thread, getting ready to throw it out when I realized that I could use the thread just the way I used the thread from fringing. Check this out...

I did find that it was harder to sew down than the fringed thread without a cover. An easy fix, I used tulle...again.  Here is a closeup of the thread after sewing...

Another trick I tried was to add thin amounts of batting between the fabric and the tulle to resemble clouds. Next time I think I will use more but I like the effect...

Remember, this is where I left off yesterday...

I like the way it looks. But I wanted to try adding the thread and batting. So here's what it looks like now...

The coloring really changed. Oh, and although it doesn't show up here, the tulle has a sparkly effect which I thought was really nice with the beach scene.

To be honest I like both pictures, but in person, I like the bottom one better. Next I want to add some more thread work and add some beach plants, and maybe a shell or two. Then I will add some batting and a back and quilt it with shiny thread...silver I think.

Well, that's it for today...
One more day of nice weather here and then the heat comes back...
Thanks for visiting...
Talk with you tomorrow...