Monday, February 24, 2020

FABRIC COLLAGE PROJECT WITH A TWIST...


The weather was absolutely beautiful this weekend and today.  Warm enough to go without a jacket, only a sweatshirt and jeans was fine.  And when I worked in the sunlight, I was tempted exchange the sweatshirt for a t-shirt.  Bright, sunny and very little wind...and warm.  In the high 50's. 

I found this little quote from Aristotle Onassis, of all people, that I thought might help all of you folks who are concerned about the primary's results so far.  "It's during our darkest moments we must focus to see the light."

First of all, we aren't far into the primary season.  But, I will always remember the guy who said 'I'd vote for a ham sandwich if it meant that Trump was out!'  I think that Democrats are going to be just as tribal as Republicans.  The difference?  There are a lot more Democrats than Republicans.

So I have begun the next project while still cutting out flowers for the applique project.  Here's the background...

It's going to be a collage.  I got the idea from an article in the Spring 2020 edition of Art Quilt Studio Magazine.  The article is 'Discover Quilting With Heidi Zielinski' by Danielle Williams.  Ms Zielinski used collage in her art quilts with an organic/nature influence. 

I simply love her work pictured in the magazine.  I also think a lot of her work is smaller, the size that I enjoy working on.

However, the twist for me and to challenge myself  is to work on a larger scale than my normal small and smaller projects.  Collage is very comfortable for me to work with both in fabric and paper, again in small versions. By having a larger canvas, though,  I hope to have more freedom to explore colors and shapes.

Pulling fabric for this project has begun using my favorite color palette of rusts and oranges with pops of contrasting colors.   And I will be attaching the collage pieces using a sewing machine rather than by hand.

Instead of using an organic or nature influence,  I will be contrasting urban and rural life, at least that is what I am aiming for...who knows where the collage will lead me on.  That's why I enjoy designing my own creations rather than following a pattern...I never know what the result will be until it is finished!

That's all for now...
Talk with you tomorrow...