Monday, April 27, 2020

STACK AND WHACK HINTS...


I spent the weekend creating more stack and whack blocks.  One set did not turn out very well.  In other words, very few of the points met...some weren't even within waving distance (so to speak.) 
I think I now know why. 

First of all, eight blocks at once might be too many.  Especially for the second cut.  I realized that I was off on my cuts.  I needed to secure the blocks better while cutting.  And I also need to make sure that the blade on my rotary cutter is sharp.

But the second reason is that I was lining blocks up edges to edges.  I found that if I lined up (on the second cut) the seam lines rather than the block edges, it was much easier to match the points.

I also had lots of short strips left over from cutting the original blocks down to 10 inches.  I didn't want to discard them, so I decided to sew them together.

I am thinking that I will incorporate this strip...maybe cut it to make two long strips...in the quilt with the rest of the blocks. 

By the way, I am up to 54 blocks, each 8 3/4 inches square.  I want to band each block with a 2 1/2" strip of the same fabric.  I was thinking something that would make the blocks pop like black or red, or maybe bright orange.

It's been cold and wet here...heat on.  The temperatures have been in the mid 30's.  Spring seems further away than ever.

That's all for now...
Thanks for stopping by...
Keep safe and stay well...
Talk with you tomorrow...