Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Ergonomic Quilting, Glue Gun Stencils & Crazy Quilt Block Progress

I was invited to sit in and watch a speaker who covered quilting ergonomics and stretching routines. 

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the stretching routine I do at the end of my exercises were the same as those suggested for quilters.

I did learn about how to set up the proper quilting actions like cutting, ironing and sewing using the 90 degree angle.  

***

I watched a video on how to make stencils using a hot glue gun.  The instructor used both a thin stream glue gun and a regular one, a silicon pad and a book.

I used the regular gun, parchment paper and a roller. You can vary the stream size with a regular glue gun by moving faster when 'drawing' the stencil.  

The reason I used a roller is to flatten the stencil (after folding the parchment paper over the stencil) similar to the reason the instructor used a book.  

I made a couple stencils before the four pictured.  They are thick so I want to try again and move the glue gun faster.

I also found that they are fun to trace with using a pen or pencil.  The shapes are very unique.  The stencil does move a bit so be sure to hold it down when tracing.

***

I thought I would share the latest picture of my crazy quilt square.  I have added a lot of stitches and beadwork.  But there is still more to do.  I know this looks like an over-the-top quilt piece, but that is what I am aiming for.  

***

That's all for today...

Talk with you tomorrow...