Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A Long, Hot Drive

Whew!!!   Today was a long one - I left at 9:30 this morning and arrived at 7 this evening...like I said, a long drive.   But it started out very nicely with lots of trees and rolling hills and the wild flowers!!   Lots of deep purple ones as well as lavender mixed with bright yellow flowers.   And there was one stretch with brilliant red flowers mixed in.

The road was not a major interstate.   I saw very few vehicles but lots of homes.   I stopped in to get gas and something for breakfast.   I had the best breakfast burrito!!!   I hope that when you travel you skip the chains and try out the local restaurants.   I have never been disappointed.

The ground flattened out and was more like the Texas I remember.   The good thing is that you can see forever.    The bad thing is that you can see forever - and when you see the towns on the far horizon, you know that it will be a long drive to get there.

I stopped at a rest stop and this was the sign that first greeted me...
Can you guess what is says?   'Watch for Rattlesnakes'...yikes!   I have a healthy fear of snakes in general, but rattlesnakes!!!

When the countryside flattened out, buttes like this started to appear...

And do you see what's in the forefront?   That was the other thing that appeared on the countryside...

It's been a long and hot drive, but the kitties and I are here now.   Tomorrow will be a shorter drive to Santa Fe.   I look forward to sharing pictures of Santa Fe with you.   Hopefully, there won't be snakes involved.

A shout out to the folks in Mobile...

Thanks for visiting....