Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Still Craftiing

The weather here is cold, wet and windy.   The heater is on and I will be sleeping under the electric blanket once again tonight.   The clouds are hanging so low that they are obscuring the tops of the mountains.

But with all of that, I have been crafting.   Today's piece is going to a group who are putting together a handmade book of support cards for a friend who is going through a hard time.

They asked for chipboard, but as I could not find any in sheet form, I used two thicknesses of cardboard glued together.   The size of the card is 5 1/2 by 7 with an inch on the left used to secure the card in the book.

The first thing I did was collage a smaller piece of lightweight cardboard and edge it with an adhesive backed metal stripping.  

On the base form, I wrote words depicting friendship all around the smaller collage piece.   I then covered that with both plain and designed beige tissue.   To secure the smaller collage piece to the base, I used brads.

To make the holes for the brads I used the Fiskars craft hand drill.   This is the first time I have used it and it is wonderful...
It's quite inexpensive but you do need to have a set of drills which are also inexpensive.   If your crafting includes making lots of holes in heavy cardboard or light wood,  this tool is for you.

Here's a close-up picture...

After attaching the smaller collage piece to the base, I attached ribbon over the smaller piece...

I then made eight small strips out of lightweight cardboard, printing supportive sayings on the back and attaching a small pink bird.   These were inserted into the ribbons.   When on the card, they cover up the word friends.   When removed, the word is exposed...

Using a different tissue paper, I collaged the back of the base after first covering the brads so they would not pierce the tissue paper.   I added two flowers and an envelope to use for a personal message to the recipient.   After the back was finished, I added the metal strip around the outside.

It's been a fun day.   I don't know about you, but I can get completely involved in crafting and lose all track of time.

Thanks for stopping by...

Enjoy your evening...